Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Tree

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    things have changed so many times over the years for our family; growing up, we stayed home (one set of grandparents would come for breakfast when I was very young, but not after they moved to colorado when I was 9, other set would pop in for maybe a couple hours) , mom did everything, after I got married, we Christmas was still at mom's. (no cousins or anything, just us) then, at least 20 years ago, after my oldest brother had bought a nice little home with about 8 acres in a small town further away, and later my mom moved in with him, we started going there for Christmas. it was not really far, but we would go there and stay for Christmas vacation (when the kids had school off) and my sister, my mom, and I would make the dinner. I remember my brother's favorite Christmas tree was a white pine, and one year he and my other brother found one very late one night, just lying on the edge of the road, like someone had cut it down and just left it there, so they brought home a fresh tree for free that year. (it was beautiful but so different from what I was used to, as my parents had always got balsams) anyway, after we moved to Florida, we started going to my best friend's (we have no family down here) but a couple times, it was just us three at home, and a few times of being able to go to my sister's in Ohio. My sister's seems to be the central location now because she has the most room, even though usually it is just her immediate family. (except now my mother lives with her)

With Thanksgiving falling so late this year (November 28), are you going to wait til then or after to put up a tree?
    I know. I'm frustrated that Thanksgiving is late this year. I also am going away on a two day Christmas trip on December 3rd and 4th with a friend. I always host a big family dinner on Thanksgiving and I like to keep the decor autumny. So I have 4 days to get it all done - Nov. 29 and 30th and Dec. 1 and 2. I will probably be so exhausted that I sleep thru my whole trip! AND, my sister and family, who live in Seattle are coming for Christmas for the first time in MANY years - so I want everthing to look great! No stress!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I know. I'm frustrated that Thanksgiving is late this year. I also am going away on a two day Christmas trip on December 3rd and 4th with a friend. I always host a big family dinner on Thanksgiving and I like to keep the decor autumny. So I have 4 days to get it all done - Nov. 29 and 30th and Dec. 1 and 2. I will probably be so exhausted that I sleep thru my whole trip! AND, my sister and family, who live in Seattle are coming for Christmas for the first time in MANY years - so I want everthing to look great! No stress!
    ugh, I had meant to ask if you were going to wait til Thanksgiving to put up the tree, as usual, or will you put it up SOONER. lol how nice that you sister and family are coming this year!

The perfect tree? Real, of course, and full. Very subtle lights (my favorite has been white and blue so far), gorgeous ornaments....

but in real life: My husband is allergic to real trees so we have a huge "fake" tree, I have used the white and blue and loved it. My ornaments are old, but very loved. My family has a tradition, since I was young (5 maybe?) that we buy ornaments every year. As we got older we started drawing names and buying an ornament for that person. 20 years later my tree is full of very special ornaments. I wouldn't change it for the world!

I know it might be a bit tacky, but this is always how our Christmas Tree looked when I was a kid: (Although I got this photo online, not an actual photo of any tree we had)

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    I know it might be a bit tacky, but this is always how our Christmas Tree looked when I was a kid: (Although I got this photo online, not an actual photo of any tree we had)

Mine too ,- except we didn't have the garland - large lights

Quote Originally Posted by AllIwantforChristmasisU View Post
    The perfect tree? Real, of course, and full. Very subtle lights (my favorite has been white and blue so far), gorgeous ornaments....

but in real life: My husband is allergic to real trees so we have a huge "fake" tree, I have used the white and blue and loved it. My ornaments are old, but very loved. My family has a tradition, since I was young (5 maybe?) that we buy ornaments every year. As we got older we started drawing names and buying an ornament for that person. 20 years later my tree is full of very special ornaments. I wouldn't change it for the world!
    your tree sounds gorgeous! if you can post pics after you get it put up and decorated, I would love to see it.

As far as Turkey Day goes the dining room will be decked in fall theme and the rest of the house will hopefully be ready for Christmas.

As to the tree any tree is a good tree any tree with a train under it is a really good tree.
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    your tree sounds gorgeous! if you can post pics after you get it put up and decorated, I would love to see it.
    I will! I usually put it up before Thanksgiving, haha! I am debating on where to put it this year. We just moved into this house last year so I kind of put the tree wherever (we moved in during November). We have a huge window in our living room and I want to put it there...I just need to think of some rearranging. Maybe I could post a pic of my living room and get some help?

Quote Originally Posted by AllIwantforChristmasisU View Post
    I will! I usually put it up before Thanksgiving, haha! I am debating on where to put it this year. We just moved into this house last year so I kind of put the tree wherever (we moved in during November). We have a huge window in our living room and I want to put it there...I just need to think of some rearranging. Maybe I could post a pic of my living room and get some help?

Of course we'd be happy to give advice.
    We're having issues with uploading pictures to the forum right now, but if you upload a photo to imgur.com and post the URL - it's a temporary work-around.

Start your own thread in Christmas Decorations when you do!
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    Of course we'd be happy to give advice.
    We're having issues with uploading pictures to the forum right now, but if you upload a photo to imgur.com and post the URL - it's a temporary work-around.

Start your own thread in Christmas Decorations when you do!
    That's what I've been doing lately with photos and seems to be working well.