Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Fruitcake Thread

Thinking of baking the fruitcake this weekend. Still have to get some ingredients for it. I use the recipe by Tess Mallos - Cooking in color cookbook, I bought in the 70's. I make a half recipe smaller sized fruitcake.

Have been adding sweet sherry to the fruitcake few times since I baked it. Maybe I do some frosting for just the top, just powdered sugar mixed with a little mandarin juice for a pale peach hued frosting.

Making the icing today just on the top of the fruitcake.

I dislike fruitcake from the stores but I do like it when someone makes it fresh at home. Must be the love in the batter
    A Christmas hug should last a lifetime

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Here is Ornamentmaven's Recipe. I made it last year and really liked it.

Easy Fruitcake

2 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 28 ounce jar mincemeat (I think the jars are a little smaller these days - not to worry)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup walnuts - broken
    1 cup raisins (golden)
    2 cups mixed candied fruit (save some red and green pieces to decorate the top)
    (Add Rum or Brandy)

Preheat oven to 300F. Combine ingredients. Butter and flour pan. (I use an angel food cake ring pan) Bake 2 hours
    After cooling, remove carefully from pan and decorate top with reserved fruit pieces. Pour a little Rum (about a shot-glass full) over the top of cake. (You may want to add more rum once a week). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. Store in a cool, dry, dark place. No need to refrigerate.

I'm going to try the recipe above me a try this weekend. Sounds really good. I think might enjoy this one.
    A Christmas hug should last a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatechip1979 View Post
    I'm going to try the recipe above me a try this weekend. Sounds really good. I think might enjoy this one.
    It is my favorite fruitcake! I have been making it for at least 35 or 40 years! I usually bake it on Black Friday!

I sometimes find it difficult to find the jarred mincemeat - easiest to locate it in November - before Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by ornamentmaven; 07-27-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Anyone baking fruitcake this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Xmasflora View Post
    Anyone baking fruitcake this year?
    I'll be making a plum pudding (it has currents and dried fruit) from an old reciepe book my mom got from my grandmother... Here's a photo...

plumrecipe.jpg
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    I'll be making a plum pudding (it has currents and dried fruit) from an old reciepe book my mom got from my grandmother... Here's a photo...

plumrecipe.jpg
    I would love to serve a plumb pudding, but I know it wouldn't get eaten. I really wish I knew people who were more open to different things.