Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're getting a real christmas tree!!!!!

I have a pre-lit but only two years and so far so good. You may want to look into Light Keeper Pro as that is good at finding what is wrong with the lights. They sell them in Home Depot, Lowe's, Target and Walmart.

I had a beautiful tree that I had to put the lights on and gave it away and bought the pre-lit. The pre-lits are so much heavier than the others but now it is hard to find one that isn't pre-lit.

I love real tree's but stopped buying them about 10 years ago because they started costing about $90. I did buy one the year before last for $45 so the prices have come down but my youngest hates the smell which I love.\

Good luck on picking out your tree. When are you going to get it?

Every year since I was 10 my mom and I put up a christmas village. Its one of those miniatures and every year we get a new shop or person for the village this year we are gonna do a big one and my dad is going to build a jill for the town so we can but the town church at the top and we are gonna make a skating rink because my mom got me a hot chocolate stand. Im my house Christmas is a very big deal

Quote Originally Posted by Donna-50 View Post
    I have a pre-lit but only two years and so far so good. You may want to look into Light Keeper Pro as that is good at finding what is wrong with the lights. They sell them in Home Depot, Lowe's, Target and Walmart.

I had a beautiful tree that I had to put the lights on and gave it away and bought the pre-lit. The pre-lits are so much heavier than the others but now it is hard to find one that isn't pre-lit.

I love real tree's but stopped buying them about 10 years ago because they started costing about $90. I did buy one the year before last for $45 so the prices have come down but my youngest hates the smell which I love.\

Good luck on picking out your tree. When are you going to get it?
    thanks for the info, Donna. I'll have to see about getting a light keeper pro. wow! $90??!!! that's waaayy too much. I know many years ago, we were paying $45 and $50 and I thought that was a lot. I bought balsam at Lowes a few days ago. They had frasier firs, balsams, and douglas firs. I love any one of those, but I grew up with balsams and they have the best fragrance. Fortunately for me, the balsams were all $30, no matter what size. I can't say it is the best balsam I have seen, but it will do just fine. it's funny you mention your youngest not liking the smell of the tree. I was just talking to one of my older daughters, who has a family of her own, and she told me that she likes real trees but she doesn't care for the smell. I said, "and WHO'S daughter are you????" but, she did say that someone she knew had gotten a tree that she thought smelled really good, like citrus. I asked her to describe it, and I told her it's a white fir. I only knew because a friend of mine had one last year. I knew of white pine, but had never heard of white fir.

Wow.. It will surely be a great christmas tree.
    Ideas for Christmas: http://ideasforchristmas.net

Wow, $30 for a tree is great. I use to get the Frazier fir. Love the Douglas fir but they don't like heavy ornaments. Is the Balsam the ones with the real long needles?

Wow, $30 for a tree is great. I use to get the Frazier fir. Love the Douglas fir but they don't like heavy ornaments. Is the Balsam the ones with the real long needles?
    Balsams have short needles and they are the most fragrant trees I've run across. L. L. Bean in Maine always has balsam products in their Christmas catalogs:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...sam&qs=3009648

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

MW is correct about balsams. They look very much like frasier firs, only the balsams needles are just a teeny bit longer than the frasiers, and they don't have that silvery color on the underside of the needles. I'm not sure what long needled trees you mean, because I am not familiar with some of them, but I know the white pine is the longest needled Christmas tree I know of. White pines have weaker branches, though, even weaker than a douglas fir. Oh, and douglas firs have longer needles than balsams.

Thanks. I just googled them and haven't seen them in FL but do remember them from NY. I am going to go take a look next time I am in Lowe's or Home Depot. I was thinking of the Scotch Pine that has the long needles but when dry they are scary.

Thanks. I just googled them and haven't seen them in FL but do remember them from NY. I am going to go take a look next time I am in Lowe's or Home Depot. I was thinking of the Scotch Pine that has the long needles but when dry they are scary.
    I really should have remembered Scotch pines, for pete's sakes. Everyone and their brother had them when I was growing up. We were the odd ones with our balsams. I got our balsam last week from Lowes. That's where I paid $30 for it. and that was for a 6 to 9 foot tree. Let us know what you end up getting. oh, and by the way, I am in Florida, too.

I got a real tree too !!! I can't have one in the house but I bought one to plant. He will go at my new house. He is about 1 ft. high, he is a Leyland Cypress. He will grow about 100 ft and at 3 ft a yr, I won't be here, hope the kids like him.