Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unlit Christmas trees

Unlit Christmas trees

Does anyone still use unlit Christmas trees? I'm thinking of buying one for the bonus room this year so that I can put some C7 or C9 multi-colored lights, along with some old fashioned bubble lights. I like the look of the larger lights. I think it gives it more of a traditional/retro look.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

I still use unlit ones, I weirdly love the fight of putting my lights on perfectly

I have two unlit white trees. I use them for specialty trees, so I can change the color of the lights
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I only use unlit. I use classic c7 bulbs (opaque...not clear glass). I mix it up on our main tree. I use a couple strings of the c7s as a "base". Then I use a variety of multi-colored minis (including incandescent & LED). I also use 2 strings of LED clear c7s. I use 2 strings of 100 minis that twinkle. Some may think our tree is a bit "busy", but I love a LOT of lights, and I prefer multi to single colors. Our topper is a star with mini bulbs that also twinkles. I also include silver garland because it reflects the bulbs to give it even more shimmer and glow!
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

wstaple...here is some advice for you: Stick with C7 and smaller for indoor use. C9 bulbs are really designed to be more for outdoor use. They get seriously hot and it could be more of a fire hazard...unless you use LEDs...which absolutely do NOT give it a retro look. My 2 cents: go with opaque C7 multi, and your bubblers.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    wstaple...here is some advice for you: Stick with C7 and smaller for indoor use. C9 bulbs are really designed to be more for outdoor use. They get seriously hot and it could be more of a fire hazard...unless you use LEDs...which absolutely do NOT give it a retro look. My 2 cents: go with opaque C7 multi, and your bubblers.
    Good advice, Mike. I've got C9's for outside and you're right, they do tend to get a little hot. And I like the look of the opaque bulbs much better. Thanks!

The prelit trees are so much easier for the big tree, but I've had to replace trees too early because sections go out and I end up adding my own lights to fill in. I really enjoy using my own lights on my smaller trees, and changing them up from year to year. I've done clear, multi and purple lights on my Madame Alexander doll tree. Love experimenting with different color themes. My big tree is prelit because I have some physical limitations that prevent me from climbing step stools (plus I'm only 5 feet tall!!). I'm never happy with the results when my husband helps - he just doesn't have an eye for it.

We had one pre-lit tree. It lasted 2 seasons. When I took it out for the 3rd, half the tree wouldn't light. The tree itself was perfectly fine. Luckily I had a neighbor who took it and put some additional lights on it. Good enough for him....NOT good enough for ME!! HAHA!!

I use my C9 bulbs along my roofline. It frames my display nicely!

I know Mike. I'm on my third prelit tree. I hate having to add lights - it just never looks right - because the lights may be a different "shade" of white, a different brightness, or impossible to set up in the same pattern as the rest of the lights. Many people like to add lights to their prelit trees - but that kind of defeats the purpose.

We've had the same problems with prelit trees in the past. When we bought our last one, I decided to not put the whole tree back in its original box. I bought an extra box and put the tree in two separate boxes. By doing this I don't have to squeeze and bend the limbs and electrical wires as much, which I believe is part of the reason the lights go out. This will be our 4th year with this tree, and so far we haven't had any issues.