Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To get a tree for my little girls' room or not...

my husband and i were thinking about the same thing for our boys but im against it because my kids are 4 and 2 and i can just see my 4 year old destroying it and the 2 year old getting the lights in his mouth and what not... my husband is trying to talk me into a small fiber optic tree but im still not sure either.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleskies View Post
    my husband and i were thinking about the same thing for our boys but im against it because my kids are 4 and 2 and i can just see my 4 year old destroying it and the 2 year old getting the lights in his mouth and what not... my husband is trying to talk me into a small fiber optic tree but im still not sure either.
    A fiber-optic tree on the dresser wouldn't be too bad. My older boy just turned 5 and the younger one is 2. If they want to enjoy the tree, they can come in the living room.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

We did it with our kids when they were about 5 but I always felt like it was a mistake, because I think they need to be out of the room and with the rest of us. When they got older we put TVs and computers in their rooms and soon we started losing them as a family. If I were to do it all over again the bed room would only be for sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by purpleskies View Post
    When my grandson was 2 we couldn’t keep him out of the tree, so we left all the decorations packed up in the garage and we bought large plastic bulbs that would not fit in his mouth and hung them on an artificial tree with built-in lights. It was a good thing because he pulled the whole tree down a few times.

Lol, I wasnt planning on putting lights on it! It'll simply be something pretty and festive in their room as they have no decorations in there at present. I don't think it'll encourage them to spend more time in there - they never play in there unsupervised, like I say. The living room will still most certainly be the heart of the home with the lit tree, and decorations all around the room. They have no TV in their room and no game console fullstop so don't think I risk losing them as a family by adding a little bit of festive fun to their own room to look at as they fall asleep at night :-)

My son had a little tree in his room since he was a baby and I never had a problem with it. He only had a few ornaments on that I (and later HE) picked out to put on it and then I put it out of reach in his room so he could only look at it.

He's 5 now and still has the little tree but ever year I warn him that if any the the ornaments are missing (ie, I see him playing with them) that I am going to take the tree away.

Children and Infants have been around Christmas Trees and Ornaments for 100s of years -- long before warning labels -- and we all turned out ok. Just be a good parent and use you head and it will be fine.

Edit: Oh, just to add my Son's tree is only about 20" or so. Just a little table top tree. I am not sure what size you were looking to put.
    Last edited by Fezziwig; 11-06-2011 at 03:39 AM.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    He's 5 now and still has the little tree but ever year I warn him that if any the the ornaments are missing (ie, I see him playing with them) that I am going to take the tree away.
    You reminded me of when I was little, My younger brother and I were scolded for throwing ornaments out a second story window to watch them explode on the street below. Luckily my mother saw them from the floor below and stopped us before we lost all the bulbs. I think we were 5 & 6 years old at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    My son had a little tree in his room since he was a baby and I never had a problem with it.

Children and Infants have been around Christmas Trees and Ornaments for 100s of years -- long before warning labels -- and we all turned out ok. Just be a good parent and use you head and it will be fine.

Edit: Oh, just to add my Son's tree is only about 20" or so. Just a little table top tree. I am not sure what size you were looking to put.
    I agree. As I said, before:

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas_mama View Post
    Oh that's not a worry - I was thinking a small 2ft tree, with mini stuffed fabric decorations to hang on it

I wouldn't go putting a 6ft tree with small or glass ornaments in their room or anything They're hardly ever in there unsupervised but anything that goes in there will be age appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    We did it with our kids when they were about 5 but I always felt like it was a mistake, because I think they need to be out of the room and with the rest of us. When they got older we put TVs and computers in their rooms and soon we started losing them as a family. If I were to do it all over again the bed room would only be for sleeping
    HaHa - You "lose" them no matter what you do. It's part of growing up, learning to live independently and becoming self-sufficient. It's very difficulton parents, but very natural at the same time.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    HaHa - You "lose" them no matter what you do. It's part of growing up, learning to live independently and becoming self-sufficient. It's very difficulton parents, but very natural at the same time.
    I guess you are correct although I do miss them running around the house especially at Christmas. Well now I have grandkids to spoil even though it’s only for a few days a week