Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: buying a Christmas Tree

buying an artificial tree

I unfortunately am being out-voted and am looking to buy an artificial tree. From what I can discern, I think I want a 6 or 6.5 ft Nordic Spruce (which I can't seem to find). I would like to know what brand and kind people here have found to be their favorite, and if they know of a good company to buy them from. I've seen the 'Real Feel' kind that sounds appealing, but I'm not sure if I'm falling for the hype.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

I have always purchased mine based on price, fullness - yet slimline, 7 foot, prelit with clear lights. I have no idea what kind of tree it is supposed to emulate! I put so many ornaments on it, you can barely see the tree anyway! I will look at the box the next time I am out in the shed!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they usually have their trees 50% off the week of Thanksgiving. You might want to go and look at them to see what you like.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

We always buy our trees from http://www.balsamhill.com They last forever and there are so may styles to choose from. We have 2 Vermont White Spruce trees. Also when Michaels has their trees up they have great sales on top of coupons you can usually stack. Just to get the fresh tree smell in the air may I recommend Scentsicles. They are scented tree stick ornaments that blend into the tree and smell awesome.
    A Christmas hug should last a lifetime

I usually use the Scenticles as well. Nothing compares to fresh however!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I have always purchased mine based on price, fullness - yet slimline, 7 foot, prelit with clear lights. I have no idea what kind of tree it is supposed to emulate! I put so many ornaments on it, you can barely see the tree anyway! I will look at the box the next time I am out in the shed!
    I thought the pre-lit aren't worth it, since the strands frequently burn out or malfunction...?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by wstaple View Post
    If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they usually have their trees 50% off the week of Thanksgiving. You might want to go and look at them to see what you like.
    Thanks for the idea, I just found out we do have one near us!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatechip1979 View Post
    We always buy our trees from http://www.balsamhill.com They last forever and there are so may styles to choose from. We have 2 Vermont White Spruce trees. Also when Michaels has their trees up they have great sales on top of coupons you can usually stack. Just to get the fresh tree smell in the air may I recommend Scentsicles. They are scented tree stick ornaments that blend into the tree and smell awesome.

I had been admiring the trees at Balsam Hill. I didn't realize how expensive artificial trees were! Have you had your lights malfunction on a pre-lit Balsam Hill tree?
    Our Michael's store doesn't sell trees, which is strange, since it's a pretty big store. I see them online, though.
    I will try the Scentsicles- thanks for the idea! I am very sad to be going to artificial!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I usually use the Scenticles as well. Nothing compares to fresh however!
    And I feel the life of the tree, along with the smell... Not to mention the whole tradition of going and cutting it down, passing other people on the way home with their trees... I hope I get used to artificial quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    And I feel the life of the tree, along with the smell... Not to mention the whole tradition of going and cutting it down, passing other people on the way home with their trees... I hope I get used to artificial quickly!
    Yes - I would prefer to have a live tree, I just find it too cumbersome to handle now! We first got an artificial tree years ago when my husband had surgery in late November and wasn't able to set a real tree up. Then I started developing health issues, so the artificial tree just became SOOOOOOOO much easier. No needle mess, no watering, no lifting issues, no pet issues, no drying out, no "falling down" (we came back from an overnight trip one year to find our tree flat on the floor with many broken keepsake ornaments). It has become increasing difficult to find an artificial tree that is not pre-lit these days. I like the ease of pre-lit, but get frustrated by lights not working.