Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes you love Christmas so much?

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    It goes without saying that we give special thanks at Christmas for Jesus. However, I can sum up my answer in one word: Nostalgia. Christmas is the time of year when I so fondly recall years gone by and all the people who shared them with me.

My wife and I share a love of the Christmas season, and all it brings. We've created and carried on SO many traditions for our boys. While I can't "make" them grow up to be Christmas fanatics, I can certainly provide them with a host of wonderful, warm family memories to carry with them through their lives. One thing is certain: Every year at Christmas time, after I'm gone, my boys will always remember how much the holidays meant to their old man, and hopefully they will feel love in their heart, and know that I am still with them as they spend that time with all of our shared loved ones.
    Memories have a lot to do with the enjoyment of Christmas. My one brother who isn't especially fond of Christmas (never had any children) went to live with our father when he was thirteen. He missed all the great Christmases we had after that --- they only began when I was seventeen and there were no more stepfathers. I take that back; 1962 was between stepfathers and it was good. You can tell I have some good memories (had to buy vintage Shiny Brites, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    It goes without saying that we give special thanks at Christmas for Jesus. However, I can sum up my answer in one word: Nostalgia. Christmas is the time of year when I so fondly recall years gone by and all the people who shared them with me.

My wife and I share a love of the Christmas season, and all it brings. We've created and carried on SO many traditions for our boys. While I can't "make" them grow up to be Christmas fanatics, I can certainly provide them with a host of wonderful, warm family memories to carry with them through their lives. One thing is certain: Every year at Christmas time, after I'm gone, my boys will always remember how much the holidays meant to their old man, and hopefully they will feel love in their heart, and know that I am still with them as they spend that time with all of our shared loved ones.
    Beautiful post, Mike. Nostalgia is the perfect word.

You know, after I've read and re-read my original post, I see that I've made an unintentional glaring omission. None of this is possible without that original gift - God's gift of His son to the world.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

It is a week until Christmas. Christmas is a time of sharing and giving. Here are a list of things that I love about the Christmas:
    1. Pretty decorations and lights
    2. Buying gifts for loved ones
    3. Family get together
    4. Bake a favourite Christmas treat.

I love Christmas first of all is because of the love that reminds us about Jesus. Second is the chance that we can spend more time together with our dear family and friends and third is that we can do more shopping during the season compared to other times of the year. Christmas is really an exciting time for all!

I've been thinking about this for the longest time, and I think the only answer I can give is that I love Christmass because it is an expression of love in its purest form. It may be expressed through shopping or cooking or a million other things, but to me it boils down to love. To borrow an overused phrase, it's something the world needs more of. There's a magic to it, for me, which transcends anything material. I'm not sure all this makes any sense, but it's the closest I can come to expressing it.
    Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

I love Christmas because it is home at its best. I'm very active and always off to somewhere or something (and I enjoy it) and at Christmas all that kind of falls away. I love the real attention we have for eachother and how little distraction there is.

And besides that...my husband and I are just a coupe of kids who enjoy shiney lights and sparkly things.

I love Christmas because all family members have fun together, spend great time, religious connection..
    Enjoy a great time with friends, beautiful lights, lovely decoration, lots of cakes and food.
    http://www.yankee-candles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Elvira1986 View Post
    I love Christmas because it is home at its best. I'm very active and always off to somewhere or something (and I enjoy it) and at Christmas all that kind of falls away. I love the real attention we have for eachother and how little distraction there is.

And besides that...my husband and I are just a coupe of kids who enjoy shiney lights and sparkly things.

Nicely said. And I don't think you were married the last time I saw you on here...? So, congratulations!
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    I love Christmas because all family members have fun together, spend great time, religious connection..
    Enjoy a great time with friends, beautiful lights, lovely decoration, lots of cakes and food.

Nice!

Here's a picture for you!

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Quote Originally Posted by wstaple View Post
    Think about it - most people aren't like those of us on this board. Christmas, for most people, is something celebrated from the Friday after Thanksgiving or the first part of December until the 25th. But we do things like listen to Christmas music in July! Unheard of, right? Maybe to some, but not for us.
    Did I tell you that's more or less a tradition at my house? My late husband and I started dating in July (way back when) and we listened to Christmas music right from the start.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."