Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: buying a Christmas Tree

Well, four years ago I splurged and bought an artificial tree from Balsam Hill for my bedroom. It has clear and colored incandescent lights on it and a remote where I could have either color or both. I loved it. This year when I put up the tree (the first year out of warranty), no lights worked. I spent HOURS on the phone with tech support. After wanting me to check all the bulbs on the tree, among other things, we finally got the clear lights to work (the remote ensemble wasn't working). We could not get the colored lights to come on. Balsam Hill refused to sell me the original remote ensemble replacement, saying it was only available to people still under warranty, but I could buy their new remote that would only work with clear lights (no thanks). To mollify me they told me they would send me some colored lights that I could string on the tree myself, even though they normally only do that for people still under warranty. The purpose of me spending that kind of money was so I did not have to string lights. In 2 weeks I received a package of clear lights. When I contacted the company again to tell them that they sent the wrong color, I was told that that was all they could do for me, since I was no longer under warranty. I then asked how to remove the casing that the two strings of lights went into to plug into the remote sensor, since it appeared that they were triangle top screws. He told me to use a screwdriver head I already tried and all it did was spin, as if the screw was stripped. He ended up sending me a random YouTube video with a guy saying he had a hard time also finding something that would unscrew these types of screws and offered suggestions. I still haven't been able to get the casing off. Balsam Hill refused to send/sell me the tool that would do it.

Looking for a place online to write a bad review about them, I came across so many complaints about them (including the Better Business Bureau). I would never have guessed that a company that looks so well put together could be this bad. If they had told me that I was paying that much money for three years of use I never would have considered it.

I heartily regret giving them any of my money.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    Well, four years ago I splurged and bought an artificial tree from Balsam Hill for my bedroom. It has clear and colored incandescent lights on it and a remote where I could have either color or both. I loved it. This year when I put up the tree (the first year out of warranty), no lights worked. I spent HOURS on the phone with tech support. After wanting me to check all the bulbs on the tree, among other things, we finally got the clear lights to work (the remote ensemble wasn't working). We could not get the colored lights to come on. Balsam Hill refused to sell me the original remote ensemble replacement, saying it was only available to people still under warranty, but I could buy their new remote that would only work with clear lights (no thanks). To mollify me they told me they would send me some colored lights that I could string on the tree myself, even though they normally only do that for people still under warranty. The purpose of me spending that kind of money was so I did not have to string lights. In 2 weeks I received a package of clear lights. When I contacted the company again to tell them that they sent the wrong color, I was told that that was all they could do for me, since I was no longer under warranty. I then asked how to remove the casing that the two strings of lights went into to plug into the remote sensor, since it appeared that they were triangle top screws. He told me to use a screwdriver head I already tried and all it did was spin, as if the screw was stripped. He ended up sending me a random YouTube video with a guy saying he had a hard time also finding something that would unscrew these types of screws and offered suggestions. I still haven't been able to get the casing off. Balsam Hill refused to send/sell me the tool that would do it.

Looking for a place online to write a bad review about them, I came across so many complaints about them (including the Better Business Bureau). I would never have guessed that a company that looks so well put together could be this bad. If they had told me that I was paying that much money for three years of use I never would have considered it.

I heartily regret giving them any of my money.
    Sorry to read of your bad experience.
    I wanted a prelit tree for the convenience, but everyone I knew who had them said the lights go out after a few years, and they're really hard to get off. I was also told those trees are very heavy. I still like the idea, but until they improve, I will just deal with stringing the lights myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    Sorry to read of your bad experience.
    I wanted a prelit tree for the convenience, but everyone I knew who had them said the lights go out after a few years, and they're really hard to get off. I was also told those trees are very heavy. I still like the idea, but until they improve, I will just deal with stringing the lights myself.
    Thanks for your sympathy. I was so happy to be splurging on myself with it- 3 years was not enough! I am going to just string colored lights over what's there and hopefully find a remote that will work with the 2 sets of lights. Actually, I'm mentally prepared for next year and the white lights to stop working. Live and learn.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

I have used artificial trees for some time now. Basically due to the fact you can put them up earlier and they last longer. Also, depending on the real tree, heavier ornaments make the branch sag (unless you place them close to the trunk). I do not get pre-lit trees, since I have noticed how fast the lights go out and for me, it is just as easy to string my own. That way I can change from white to colored lights and even put on some of the old C-7 lights with twinkle bulbs. One tree is up all year long and is decorated for the season. Right now, it has a Thanksgiving theme, but also CIJ (Christmas in July) and St Patrick's Day.
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

looking to buy a super slim artificial Christmas tree, perhaps after Christmas on a super sale!

I have one that I refer to as my pencil tree. It is nearly 7' tall, but probable not more than 3' in circumference...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Erv View Post
    looking to buy a super slim artificial Christmas tree, perhaps after Christmas on a super sale!
    I want one also!

I may pick up a seedling this year, just to have the Christmas aroma in my home...

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    I may pick up a seedling this year, just to have the Christmas aroma in my home...
    Do the little ones have a strong smell?

Not real strong, but it might be nice near the dining table...