Thread: A bit of my Christmas past is no more.

A bit of my Christmas past is no more.

I was saddened to learn that the singer and entertainer Val Doonican has died. Way back in the late 60s and early 70s Christmas wouldn't have been Christmas without watching one of his Christmas specials, usually on Christmas Eve. Once that was over it was away to bed with we small children and to sleep, hopefully to awake to what Santa Claus had brought...

Another cultural landmark; a brick in my wall has gone.
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

One of the hardest things about getting older is watching those we grew up admiring pass away. Andy Williams' death made me feel the same way.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

I think we always consider our childhood memories to hold the true meaning of Christmas. Real trees with tinsel, plenty of snow, Bing Crosby and Andy Williams, hand decorated sugar cookies, snacks for Santa, shopping at Woolworth's, hanging Christmas cards around the door frame - I try to make the same memories for my own kids, but it doesn't seem the same!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I've tried looking up his Christmas specials on YouTube but there is little to be found. This is one non-Christmas clip I found... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lPSBax2QsE

and this is an example of his Christmas singing... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4rShp9H2k

He has a very nice voice. I can see why you miss him! His name sounds vaguely familiar, but he is not known here in the USA.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Like so many others here, I grew up with Christmas Specials on TV. Unfortunately, they seem to be a thing of the past. Now and then on PBS, a special will come on. In this case, since so much of the time is spent trying to raise money for PBS (which I understand), I usually will record it so that I can get through the commercial time and back to the entertainment.
    I made up my own Christmas CD and just about everyone on it has passed, but when I sit back and close my eyes... there they are "one more time"!!!
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

I'm not familiar with Val, but I like the cozy feel of the Christmas special. I remember when I was little there was only ever one Christmas themed show on tv on Christmas Eve, so we were pretty much at the mercy of whatever it was (it was never memorable and wasn't aimed at kids, but at least it was something). It always bothered me- that's the night when we needed to be in the mood the most! Luckily, I had no problem being in the mood, even with poor tv programming.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Of course I grew up with Specials from Bob Hope. Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Andy Williams and other. Not to mention most of the regular programs would have a special Christmas episode. Over the years, I did pick up a few on DVD and as they say... "It is a blast from the past"
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    Of course I grew up with Specials from Bob Hope. Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Andy Williams and other. Not to mention most of the regular programs would have a special Christmas episode. Over the years, I did pick up a few on DVD and as they say... "It is a blast from the past"
    Were those Christmas specials actually broadcast ON Christmas Eve?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    Were those Christmas specials actually broadcast ON Christmas Eve?
    Most were not, but as I recall, there was at least one 'taped" show that would be aired on Christmas Eve.