Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Trimming the tree

anyone use tinsel anymore? when I was a kid my mom loved a LOT of tinsel on the tree. We don't use any tinsel now because of our cats, they pull it off and make a mess with it. I really don't see much tinsel used anymore

Talking

We used tinsel too.. but, that was before I see my grandma making bows for her tree..
    Aaaaa!! Thats was it..
    I fell in love with them and since then, big red bows have become an ιntegral part of our tree..

http://www.allthingschristmas.com/fo...&pictureid=187

Last edited by olga; 05-25-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

As a child my parents always had a real Christmas tree - so they used lots of tinsel! I did too until my husband had surgery one year - right before Christmas. He couldn't lift the real tree, so we got an artificial - which I could handle alone - and we've used one ever since. Can't use tinsel on an artificial tree

The funny thing is, you barely even see tinsel for sale anymore!
    Last edited by ornamentmaven; 05-29-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Why can't you use tinsel on an artifical Tree? I've never tried it. I can see it being hard to get off.

Quote Originally Posted by gandr1212 View Post
    Why can't you use tinsel on an artifical Tree? I've never tried it. I can see it being hard to get off.
    I use tinsel on our artificial tree all the time every year and it seems alright.

We don't use tinsel either. We don't even use the metallic garland any more. Now we use beads and ribbons...I guess over the years the styles change even for Christmas trees.

We used to use tinsel when we was first married, but now its garlands and decorative

branches that you put inside the tree...

It is very difficult to get tinsel off of an artificial tree. It may be okay if you use tinsel every year, but even then it can get knotted up and ratty looking. I am surprised to hear that anyone uses tinsel on an artificial tree - I don't know anyone personally who does!

We ALWAYS have a real tree. We used to put tinsel on, until we got cats lol. Still looks pretty without it!
    It's the most wonderful time of the year!

I loved the look of old tinsel. It had some weight to it and it would hang straight if you separated the strands one by one. The stuff that came out in the mid to late sixties or early seventies (and is sometimes sold now) isn't as nice. I won't be surprised if people stop buying it. Tinsel is supposed to look like icicles, isn't it? They drip straight down.