Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get new stockings?

Hybrid View

Should I get new stockings?

New to the group, so first of all, hello! I'm struggling with 'tradition' or wanting something new, that matches! When we were married, we were given stockings, one red, one green with our names/wedding date. We then had two daughters, the person who'd made ours was still making them, so I ordered two that matched. However, I went with red since mine was red and my mind was thinking, keep the 'girls' in the family red, (husband's was green). I didn't want to do any other color (red and green are Christmas after all, in my mind at the time!). So from the start we were off balance (3 reds, 1 green). We added two sons in law, so between my husband and I, we made two that matched each other (though nothing like ours). Then we added a grandbaby, and made another which I'm not thrilled with how it turned out, and now another grandbaby! So, I'm at the crossroads of, do we just try to make another one to somewhat match the styles we made for the others (though the original 4 look nothing like them), or do I bite the bullet and buy everyone new? I asked the kids if they cared if we got new stockings (they had them since they were born), but they just joked and said as long as I get ones that will hold the same amount, lol, they didn't care. But I don't know... Have any of you changed stockings over the years?

As i've gotten new ones in the past as i do dog rescue and i am one who loves retro-vintage so for my furbabies i got vintage ones and then got vintage for us as i have vintage for my trees and other decor pieces.Please enjoy the holiday time with us as it is a very special time of year.

i would go with tradition

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    If they don't care and you want new, I would say get new, but keep the old ones for sentimental value. You could also get new matching ones to hang on the mantel just for decoration, but still fill the old ones. That would give you the best of both worlds.

I've had my stocking since my first Christmas in 1958.Trees, decorations and ornaments change and our added to and detracted from every year but stockings are a bit of our past that reminds us of all our Christmases through the years.
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Christmas View Post
    I've had my stocking since my first Christmas in 1958.Trees, decorations and ornaments change and our added to and detracted from every year but stockings are a bit of our past that reminds us of all our Christmases through the years.
    I love that you've had the same stocking all of your life! I wish I could say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    I love that you've had the same stocking all of your life! I wish I could say the same.
    We were lucky, my mother knit stockings for my sister and I when we were kids,when I married she knit one for my wife and again as both of my kids came along.Now she has passed but my daughter-in-law knits them using mom's pattern for each new member of the family that comes along.You can tell mine the green is quite faded my daughter-in-law offered to knit me a new one but I prefer to keep my old one along with my wonderful memories of Christmases past

Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

That sounds so wonderful! What a great tradition to pass on for future generations!

bigger is better
    Attached Images Attached Images

My wife, daughter and I have had the same stockings for quite some time now. They are not the least bit alike, except the Disney theme. My wife has a white (fur look) stocking, trimmed in gold and embroidered with a Victorian Mickey and Minnie. My Daughter's is red with a green top and Whinnie the Pooh (plush type) on the front with presents embroidered around him. Mine is a Burgundy color with a forest green top with Mickey and Pluto embroidered on the front. All different, but all with special memories...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"