Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Christmas lights

Same here. Got the string changed yesterday. The Limo tours have begun, so I need to put the final touches on the outside and then I can finish up inside...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Welllll....I was in shock the first night I put the outside lights on. I am not a fan of blue LED light. One place I have them is on the large bush right outside the kitchen door, and normally I love to see the warm glow the lights throw off. These lights are so bright, it makes it look like it's daylight outside when the blinds on the door are cracked. The whole front of the house is bathed in blue light and the whole backyard into the woods. When I plugged them in in the house before putting them on, they looked like they would be good, but maybe because it was daylight I didn't notice. I took pictures of them, but they don't come out looking as bad in the pictures. I was going for a happy, cheerful look, but these colors don't say Christmas to me- they're more like party lights. Usually when I have the incandescent colored minis on the bushes they gave off a warm colorful glow and the candles in the windows are brighter than them. These LEDs make it so you don't even notice that there are candles in the windows. I was trying to push all the lights into the middle of the front bushes to try and dim the glare, which helped slightly. The bush by the kitchen is deciduous, so there's really nowhere to hide them (and I only got enough to cover half of it!). I've been trying to get used to them, or decide if I should return them, maybe for C-7s. But I noticed that some LED minis I saw around the neighborhood are really bright, so I'm thinking it won't really make that big of a difference to get a C-7.
    And the blinking LED bulbs leave a lot to be desired. They blink well- slower like the incandescent, but they're the solid colors, not clear, so they don't show pretty patterns of the branches. It's kind of just a flat effect. And even if they were clear, that would just throw off even more blue light.
    I happened to pass a house that had the incandescent C9s and it was such a big difference- compared to the blue tone mine has, theirs had an orangey? look- drastically warmer.
    I also was at my sister's tonight and she had clear incandescent C9s on her tree. I was able to touch them- they were warm and not hot. I just tried touching the C7's in my candles and it's the same thing. Somewhere along the line they stopped being hot and I had no idea! I could swear it was not too long ago that I burned my fingers trying to unscrew a lit candle bulb.
    So now I'm thinking maybe I'll keep the C9 wires and send back the LED bulbs and get incandescent bulbs. What do you think? I'm thinking I should be okay with them on the bushes just being warm...? I normally have the lights on dusk to dawn...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Interesting. I use LEDs outside on a few small wreaths. Other than that, it is regular mini lights or C9...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

While I was doing research all day on which incandescent bulbs to get, I was seeing that people were still complaining that they were hot. I feel like I'm missing something.
    Bishop- are the C7 or C9s you currently use hot to the touch? Or just warm, where you can leave your fingers on them?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

The older C7 & C9 bulbs will get too hot to touch with your bare hands. Whether or not the newer ones get that way, I'm not sure as I have not had to replace mine yet...

nice

I have C9's on the area above my garage and enough to lay on the side. The 6" of snow that fell could not keep them away. The heat melted the snow and the lights still shine through...

I just got my incandescent bulbs today and changed out the LEDs on one of the bushes. They look nice and warm, but so much darker! I think the LEDs I have fried my eyes. The incandescent do get warm, but I don't think hot enough to cause damage- I can leave my fingers on them. I haven't blown a fuse yet, which is good. Tomorrow I will change out the other 2 and see what I think (and whether those will blow a fuse).

No doubt that the LEDs are much brighter. Just a matter of preference I suppose...

Yes, it's a drastic difference in brightness. But now with the incandescents in, I WANT to look out at my lights- they give me pleasure, where I can stand looking at them for a little while and feel happy. I would glance out at the LED and be like, yep, there they are.

They didn't have the purple bulbs I wanted, so I had to get extra red and green to take the purple's place this year, so even though there are multiple colors, the overall effect is red. I think because the orange tends to look reddish, too. It's okay- I still prefer them!