Thread: How different are your Thanksgiving and Christmas menus?

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)

How different are your Thanksgiving and Christmas menus?

Is your Christmas dinner a rerun of Thanksgiving, something completely different, or a different main dish, but similar sides?

I generally don't host Thanksgiving, but I'm really not a big fan of turkey for Christmas. I find cooking a whole turkey a pain, plus most people (in the United States) just finished their turkey leftovers. Generally I will only cook a turkey breast, just in case somebody doesn't like the main course. Normally I do ham, but I do switch it up. I'm thinking if I did do Thanksgiving, a lot of the sides would be the same. I consider sweet potatoes a holiday must so that is one thing I would probably do the same for sure.

We do a different main dish with similar sides. We had roast beef this Christmas with mashed potatoes, gravy and roasted corn.

I'd be fine with a re-run of Thanksgiving. I'm mainly interested in the gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing. I don't usually have this type of food, so having it twice in one month would be a-okay by me.

It may not be fun cooking a whole turkey, but the juices you get for the gravy and the smell of it cooking make it worth it to me (at least once a year). Actually, not being a fan of cooking in general, I find cooking any meat about equal (except sticking my hand/arm into the body cavity to pull out the giblets). The turkey never lasts too long, as it's mixed into all different meals after the day and some is sent home with family members.

I am not a fan of sweet potatoes or yams. I used to try and have them periodically to vary my diet, but I've given up on that now. Last year I broke down and tried someone's sweet potato pie, but really didn't like it. Their taste reminds me of a sugar substitute. Which is ironic, since it would be healthier for me to have a sweet potato than a piece of pumpkin pie.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Thanksgiving is usually about the same each year, since we go all out...

Menu: Turkey 10-12lb (yes the whole thing), Ham 7-10lb, Mashed potatoes, Stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, corn and dinner rolls. Dessert: Pumpkin, Lemon Meringue & French Silk pies.

Christmas varies, but is usually either Prime Rib, Brisket or a roast cut of beef...

Menu: Beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, cauliflower & broccoli mix, braised carrots and crescent rolls.
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"