Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vintage-Gramas Recipes Of Christmas

Love the old recipes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My family did Christmas cookies maybe one year and it was fun to decorate them. We did a lot of healthy eating growing up, so the traditional cookie making/baking that people do around the holidays never became a tradition for us. I'm not a big cookie person anyway (give me cake any day!).

But I like this thread- I like seeing the old recipes. We have similar looking ones and I like to just look at them because they give me a nostalgic, cozy feeling.

I have a couple Christmas books that happen to have older recipes in them for Christmas dinner, etc and I recently decided I wanted to try some of them out and see if I would care for any of them. This has just reminded me.

Thanks for this thread snowbell
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Wow, is that your gramma's handwriting? Love how original it is, on a piece of paper. Don't see that much these days.
    Anyway, I don't think have a natural talent baking cookies, but I'll keep trying. Thanks for the recipe!

Some of my grandmothers are a bit hard to read and she has some that say a pinch of this or a handful of that so those i'm trying to work on and some are written clearly with actual measurements,she was an amazing baker and did canning and freezing i enjoyed being in the kitchen with her i have many cherished memories,the kitchen always smelled so good and boy did it all taste so good,i miss her but,i carry on as i'm a baker and i freeze things,i make just about everything from scratch.I got all her kitchen things pans,bake pans,utensils,graters,measure spoons the old metal ones,colanders metal as well.

I admire that! Inheritance is so important where I come from, and u definitely got it.
    Oh yes, some kitchen things never go old.

My Mom did a lot of baking as well. Unfortunately, I never did get her breads or cookie recipes. But I always look for something close and try them out...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Getting set to do my holiday baking and making my confections for myself and my son as with covid climbing here it's going to be a quiet cozy holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbell1 View Post
    Getting set to do my holiday baking and making my confections for myself and my son as with covid climbing here it's going to be a quiet cozy holiday.
    I wish I had your abilities. While I do very well in the cooking department, most of my baking comes from prepared packages. And water, milk, eggs, butter... etc. Mix and bake. I enjoy doing that and make up some small tins for a few neighbors.
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Happy to share.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbell1 View Post
    Happy to share.
    My wife is a "huge" fan of divinity. I'm going to try this one. Wish me luck...