Thread: Decorating tips needed - make a tree look wider

Decorating tips needed - make a tree look wider

Hy all,

I wonder if anyone knows any good tricks to solve this "issue". It's not an issue per se, because I like my tree no matter the shape, but I wouldn't mind it looking a bit wider (it needs to be physically thinner because of the space, but maybe there's an optical illusion kinda thing to make it seem less so).

Seems logical that I should make the most of the widest (lowest) part, therefore placing ornaments closer to the tips of branches at that part, but not do that on the other parts of the tree. When it comes to ornament size I don't know if that would have an impact visually, say, should I place larger ornaments on those widest parts (branch tips low left & right), or maybe go with smaller ones...that sort of thing is what I'm puzzled with. Also, should I go with lighter or darker colors out wide?

Basically if you have any prior experience with this I'd appreciate the help

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I would think if you put the larger ornaments on the very tips of the branches, and also put smaller ornaments in further toward the interior of the tree, it should give a sense of depth. The smaller something is, the further away it looks, so if you put the smallest ornaments deeper in the tree, it should make the tree appear deeper than it really is, and the small ornaments look smaller than they really are. Disney uses a similar trick to make structures look larger in their theme parks. I hope I have explained that well.

That is all I can think of. Good luck.
    Last edited by JollyElfDC; 12-22-2017 at 04:29 PM.