Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you miss most about Christmas as a child?

What do you miss most about Christmas as a child?

I saw this question posted on Facebook and thought I'd post it here to get everyone's thoughts.

The thing I miss the most from my childhood Christmases is going to both sets of grandparents. We'd get together with my mom's side of the family on Christmas Eve. My grandparents lived in an old farmhouse that couldn't have been more than 1,000 square feet. My mom had 7 brothers and sisters, so by the time everyone was there with their kids we had a houseful! Then on Christmas morning, after we opened presents at home, the five of us would go to my dad's mom's house. Again, it was a small home, probably more like 800 square feet in size. My grandmother was always so generous with her sons, daughters-in-law and grandkids. She would usually fix a ham and a turkey and we'd eat most of the day.

All of my grandparents have now passed away. There have been many times that I'd love to visit them and just spend time with them, but I feel that way especially around Christmas.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

Our Christmas Eve buffet - yes I still do it, but it's just not the same. We started the tradition when I was just six or seven years old. It was always the six of us (originally just the 4 or us!!), my Aunt and Uncle, and my Grandma. It started out very small, with just some appetizers and drinks and grew from there. Some years we were joined by one of my Uncles who took the train up to central NYS from NYC. It always seemed magical and I just can't seem to recapture that moment!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I miss the sense of magic. I remember being a preschooler, and really believing Santa was going to come down the chimney! I really wish I could go back to those days.

The Sears Wishbook

To be totally honest, the simplicity of the season as I use to experience it so many years ago. Technology can be a wonderful thing and it has certainly made seasonal favorites like interior and exterior decorating easier and more exciting, but so much more is emphasized on the gifts these days than the Christmas experience as a whole.

Magic. The excitement of knowing that someone wonderful, who loved me, was coming to visit in a magical way. I would appreciate every package before opening it, knowing that I was touching something that was wrapped by elves up at the North Pole.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Erv View Post
    The Sears Wishbook
    Good one. I can fondly remember going through all those Christmas catalogs, to include sears JC Penney & Montgomery Ward...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    Good one. I can fondly remember going through all those Christmas catalogs, to include sears JC Penney & Montgomery Ward...
    Yes, I did the JCPenney one, and we'd circle all the things we wanted.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    Yes, I did the JCPenney one, and we'd circle all the things we wanted.
    Same here. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it seemed so much simpler then...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

loved that memory of your grand parents...