Thread: Christmas Traditions ?

:santa: Christmas Traditions ?

What are your Countries Christmas Traditions?
    Last edited by tlazer; 08-28-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Merry Christmas To All And To All A Good Night

Are you asking about counties or countries? I have only spent 1 Christmas here in Pa. - so don't really know the local traditions. Where I lived previously - in the NYC suburbs - my village - Sloatsburg - had many Christmas traditions. We had Breakfast with Santa for the younger kids, and caroling for families. The girl scouts held a gingerbread house decorating party, and the American legion sponsored the Santa Train (where they delivered small toys to local children. The village also held a contest for best residential Christmas display.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I have only lived in Canada and the United states. Things are pretty similar. I've always felt like Canada and the states are sort of Twilight zone versions of each other. They are the same but different. That being said, Canada seems to have more British traditions than America. In Canada almost everyone has turkey for Christmas dinner. Most Canadian homes put Christmas crackers on the dining table, and Canada observes Boxing day! I always get weird looks when I say "Boxing day" down here. The Santa Clause Parade is televised coast to coast in Canada. It is a Toronto tradition started by the now defunct Eaton's department store.

Going a little off topic (but it does involve different countries) one thing I've noticed over the last decade, is North America seems to be adopting the more European St. Nicholas/Father Christmas looking Santa, and Europe seems to be going more toward the North American look.

I forgot what boxing day is. Isn't it funny how we adopt someone else traditions?

Merry Christmas To All And To All A Good Night

I don't per se have a tradition that is uniquely American, but I do have a few family ones. My favorite is to hang a very simple ornament that my son made me long ago (okay... 1983 to be exact) in the center of our main tree.
    It then becomes the first ornament hung there each year and the last to be removed at the end of january when most of the decorations come down.
    I saw most, since there are a few that remain up all year long...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"