Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Special Christmas events in your home state or Country

Special Christmas events in your home state or Country

Here in the state of South Dakota, we really get into the season. But of course, some of the cities really go all out. Here is one at the Capitol...

Pierre - Christmas time is a magical time it this state capital city. For a true taste of Christmas spirit, head to the Capitol building for Christmas in the Capitol, and wander among the nearly 100 decorated trees that adorn its halls. This event is open to the public daily throughout the holiday season, but try to visit on a weekend when carolers serenade you and holiday treats are available for your enjoyment. For a little Yule-time humor and some first class entertainment, make reservations for Pierre’s annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Party. Sponsored by the local chamber of commerce, this event is open to the public, and includes dinner and live entertainment as well as a prize for the best ugly sweater.
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Old Wethersfield, Connecticut had 'Three Centuries Of Christmas' Historical Experience, where you could see how they celebrated Christmas in the 1700's, 1800's and 1900's in the different historical houses (now museums) in the area. There are picturesque old shops in the vicinity that add to the whole feel.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Sounds very cool. Are the houses (museums) fairly close together?
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    Sounds very cool. Are the houses (museums) fairly close together?
    Yes, two are next door to each other and the other is across the street.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Nice. Another in my state is the city where I live... Sioux Falls: The city’s festivities start in late November with a gorgeous parade of lights featuring whimsical illuminated floats and then continue all through December when the city hosts a family-friendly First Night celebration on New Year’s Eve. Head downtown any weekend in December for wagon rides and visits with Santa. For a fabulous light display, take your family to Falls Park after dark. From mid-November to the first week in January, the park is lit up with thousands of glittering lights, and the falls themselves glow in alternating colors for an ever-changing cascade of beautiful watery light.

Nice. Another in my state is the city where I live... Sioux Falls: The city’s festivities start in late November with a gorgeous parade of lights featuring whimsical illuminated floats and then continue all through December when the city hosts a family-friendly First Night celebration on New Year’s Eve. Head downtown any weekend in December for wagon rides and visits with Santa. For a fabulous light display, take your family to Falls Park after dark. From mid-November to the first week in January, the park is lit up with thousands of glittering lights, and the falls themselves glow in alternating colors for an ever-changing cascade of beautiful watery light.
    I never stopped to think about the name of your city and that you would have a waterfall there. It looks picturesque.

Your state seems to know how to do Christmas well!

Yes. Something about the mid-west area. I guess since it can be a bit far (and depending on the Winter weather) to travel, more of the smaller cities like to have their own Christmas traditions. Also probably that unlike major cities, there are not a ton of attractions to visit year round.
    BTW, here is a picture of the falls area and park...Winter-Wonderland.jpg

BTW, here is a picture of the falls area and park...
    Wow! Nice.

Curious... does anyone else do any decorating for Christmas in July?

I do not, but I'm interested in seeing your beach theme...