Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Second favorite Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    I never knew they had Sunday school on Easter. But, I suppose, what better time.
    You know, maybe it was a church service instead of Sunday School. That was about fifty years ago! I do remember that the bus came to take kids to Sunday School and, normally, we went home after Sunday School instead of attending the church service. It doesn't make sense, but I don't remember attending church that many times. And when I did, I sat in the pew and admired the women's beautiful hats!

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

You know, every now and then I get an urge to wear an Easter bonnet
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

My church always has Sunday School on Easter. After the last service they have a egg hunt for the kids. They hunt for plastic eggs and turn them in for candy. There are a few eggs out there with a cross on it and they get a bigger gift.

I remember when I was a kid my Grandmother always bought us Easter outfits including shoes. When I was a teen I remember going to all the stores but of course I couldn't find they right outfit. My Grandfather was there and then he told my Grandmother to give me the money and let me go look because he got tired of going from one store to the next. I was picky way back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna-50 View Post
    My church always has Sunday School on Easter. After the last service they have a egg hunt for the kids. They hunt for plastic eggs and turn them in for candy. There are a few eggs out there with a cross on it and they get a bigger gift.

I remember when I was a kid my Grandmother always bought us Easter outfits including shoes. When I was a teen I remember going to all the stores but of course I couldn't find they right outfit. My Grandfather was there and then he told my Grandmother to give me the money and let me go look because he got tired of going from one store to the next. I was picky way back then.
    I don't think there's much of a market for adult Easter clothes, which is too bad. They could have such potential. I would have liked to experience the days when people dressed to the nines for things (Easter Parade).

lol I feel for your grandfather. I hate shopping (especially when I can't find what I'm looking for). And it's good to be picky, then you don't end up with things you don't really feel great about.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Lent

Does anyone do anything for Lent?

You know, every now and then I get an urge to wear an Easter bonnet

You might say I wore one last year, but it was semi-casual. Women don't dress up too much at our church. So I wore a white crochet floppy hat. But it was fun!

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Does anyone do anything for Lent?
    We give up something...I chose sweets this year. What do you do?
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81 View Post
    We give up something...I chose sweets this year. What do you do?
    Same with me. This year I gave up chocolate, alcohol and simple sugars (I have to be specific, lest I find loopholes )

One year, I decided to hug my parents and sisters once a day, instead of giving something up. It was difficult, because we'd never been that way. I didn't realize that they all liked it, until I missed a day and they started saying "hey, you missed me, too!"

Same with me. This year I gave up chocolate, alcohol and simple sugars (I have to be specific, lest I find loopholes )

One year, I decided to hug my parents and sisters once a day, instead of giving something up. It was difficult, because we'd never been that way. I didn't realize that they all liked it, until I missed a day and they started saying "hey, you missed me, too!"
    Good ones...I was going to go with candy, but I decided all sweets (chocolate, candy, desserts) would be better.

I like the idea of doing something different, especially deciding to hug your family more. My wife should have done that one year...Her family never hugged much, but when she met me and my family we broke her of that. She always gives me a hard time because she said her dad hugs me more than he ever hugged her growing up.
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81 View Post
    Good ones...I was going to go with candy, but I decided all sweets (chocolate, candy, desserts) would be better.

I like the idea of doing something different, especially deciding to hug your family more. My wife should have done that one year...Her family never hugged much, but when she met me and my family we broke her of that. She always gives me a hard time because she said her dad hugs me more than he ever hugged her growing up.
    I can relate to your wife.

All our friends thought we were strange, because we never hugged anyone, so we started wondering if we really were strange. lol Then we got aggressive about it and purposely hugged everyone with big bear hugs. I think we've normalized now.