Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Christmas cards a thing of the past

Are Christmas cards a thing of the past

I would like to hear if you guys have been noticing the past few years their are a huge decline in family and friends receiving christmas cards...Is it getting to the stage that sending christmas cards are a thing of the past.

Yes it's been declining for the last 15 years. I used to receive cards from almost everyone I sent to. Now I get about 45 to 50 cards and send about 65 - down from a high of 110! It really makes me sad, but i have been eliminating people from my list once I go 3 years without receiving a card in return. There are several people I've noticed who send cards every other year. Miss it terribly!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

This is a tradition that's unfortunately fading away fast. We still send out around 85-90, and we usually receive about 50.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

Yes. Between my family and friends I send out about 50-60 and I only get back between 40-50.. So those who don't send back 2 years in a row, I stop sending starting the 3rd year. It tells me they just are not interested. and I'm ok with that.
    A Christmas hug should last a lifetime

I'm sure that with all the instant cards and greetings that can be sent and obtained over cell phones, the old fashioned greeting card exchange is dying some. But I enjoy sending them and receiving them (the sending is the best part). I always keep six of my favorite cards received and place them in a frame I have set aside for just that purpose. They remain until the following year.
    And hey... nothing from stopping us in 2018!!!
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Ours have dwindled quite a bit over the last 10 years. We used to have them everywhere, now it's looking rather sparse.

I know the thought is there with e-cards, but I much prefer getting an actual card- seems warmer, and I like the tradition. Christmastime is one of the few times I actually enjoy looking through the mail.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Like most things these days, the electronic world has seemed to take the lead. But for Christmas, I still see tons of cards in the stores. To me, it seems much more personal to go through the slight effort of buying, writing a note, signing, addressing and then mailing the cards. It is still the simplest gestures that carry the most weight. BTW mine are almost done for this year, but I will wait till Thanksgiving to send them out...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

not mailing any this year

As many i know will be doing e-cards as my family will be doing this it's the 12 days of christmas so all twelve days everyone will get an e-card including christmas morning as so many will be doing these mainly because of covid.They do have many beautiful ones my neighbor is doing that with their family.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbell1 View Post
    As many i know will be doing e-cards as my family will be doing this it's the 12 days of christmas so all twelve days everyone will get an e-card including christmas morning as so many will be doing these mainly because of covid.They do have many beautiful ones my neighbor is doing that with their family.
    Very cool Snowbell1, but I still love sending them, getting them and of course... displaying them.