Thread: When do you take your Christmas decorations down?

When do you take your Christmas decorations down?

I wondered what everyone thought about this. Personally, I like the way the house looks when it's decorated for Christmas, but I realize they can't stay up forever. We'll probably take everything down next weekend, starting on January 7.

I read this earlier today, and I'd never heard it before:

When should I take the tree and decorations down?

The Twelfth Night (January 5) is widely considered to be the last day of the Christmas festivities (eve of the Epiphany).

According to superstition, it is bad luck to leave your decorations up after the 5th. This belief stems back to the olden days when people used to decorate their homes with ivy and holly.

They used to think tree spirits lived in the greenery and made sure all their festive ornaments and trimmings were taken down in the first week of the New Year to set them free.

If the custom wasn't followed it was said to affect the vegetation and greenery for the next twelve months.

The day of the Epiphany is January 6 and in Christian religions it celebrates the time the Three Wise Men (also referred to as Magi) visited baby Jesus - it also remembers his baptism.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

I generally take mine down on the 2nd or 3rd of January - just following the tradition I grew up with
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I spent a couple of hours Sunday afternoon and 3 more hours Monday morning taking down my outside lights. Everything is still up inside. We'll be working on that a little bit at a time in the evenings this week, and get the rest of it put away by Saturday.

Everything is down - as of today! About 10 hours of work yesterday and today! I am waiting for the box for the tree, as it is un-decorated, but still standing. Also waiting for my husband to put EVERYTHING back into storage!

Take them down, I don't turn them off until Twelfth night (Jan. 5th)
    Never understood why people go through all the work of decorating then can't wait to get it taken down.
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Christmas View Post
    Never understood why people go through all the work of decorating then can't wait to get it taken down.
    I agree with you Dave. I just start to get very depressed once New Year's is over and the decorations don't help!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Christmas View Post
    I'm right there with you, Dave. We still have all of our inside stuff up. My wife and I just like the way the house looks with everything up!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I agree with you Dave. I just start to get very depressed once New Year's is over and the decorations don't help!
    I know how you feel, we have such a grand time leading up to Christmas day that I do get a bit bummed once it passes. Don't be depressed my friend the year seems to fly by faster and faster the older I get so it will be here again before you know it.
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

Quote Originally Posted by wstaple View Post
    I'm right there with you, Dave. We still have all of our inside stuff up. My wife and I just like the way the house looks with everything up!
    I hear you brother we love the house all decked out in it's Christmas regalia and besides it looks so dang nekid once it's all down and packed away.
    Papa_Christmas

I normally put my decorations to sleep between the first and second week of Jan. They need to rest from being up two straight months.
    A Christmas hug should last a lifetime