Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mincemeat Squares (Husband’s Favorite)

:gingerbread: Mincemeat Squares (Husband’s Favorite)

I made these one Thanksgiving and now my husband wants them every year:

Mincemeat Squares
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    ½ chopped walnuts
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ½ cup cooking oil
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1 28-oz. jar mincemeat (Nonesuch Brandy & Rum)

Combine flour, sugar, nuts, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in oil and juice. Reserve 1½ cups flour mixture; press remainder into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.

Spread mincemeat over mixture in in pan; sprinkle with reserved flour mixture. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for about 30 minutes or till golden brown.

Better Homes & Gardens Quick and Easy Cookbook, p. 283

Note: Because mincemeat is expensive and these are fattening, he never gets them more than once a year.

they sound yum .
    well @ least its just once a year .
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Sound delicious MW - love mincemeat!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I'm gonna steal this recipe. Sounds yum!

i like mince meat but it must be moist ,
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Doesn't mincemeat normally contain some kinda beef?

Sounds delicious.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

here we have mince............ beef , chicken ,pork & fish
    - St. Luke ii.

I don't think that I've ever had Mincemeat with Beef in it!

Mincemeat definition on wikipedia describes it as I know it - dried fruits/sugar/spices.

Apparently in some cultures/countries it can contain beef, or meat - ew!!!!
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    I don't think that I've ever had Mincemeat with Beef in it!

Mincemeat definition on wikipedia describes it as I know it - dried fruits/sugar/spices.

Apparently in some cultures/countries it can contain beef, or meat - ew!!!!

Interesting, I suppose that 'traditionally' it did contain beef and suet but people cut that point out over the years. My brother-in-law is South African and he makes something that could be a mincedmeat cake then.

Prunes and Raisins mostly and then a couple bottles of Rum and Brandy -- I know it has to sit around (and stirred periodically) for a couple months before you prepare it with some flour and bake it for Christmas time. It's really time consuming but always comes out awesome.

I had never really heard of anything like this until meeting him. I always thought that Mincemeat was some Victorian English food that went the way of the dinosaur.
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by Fezziwig View Post
    I always thought that Mincemeat was some Victorian English food that went the way of the dinosaur.
    I know it's way *WAY* more common still in the UK (in particular Mince Pies) and with 'older' generations here in Canada.
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!