Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre Roasted Goose

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)

Pre Roasted Goose

I have always wanted to cook a goose for Christmas, but I have always been afraid. I found this on line. http://www.schiltzfoods.com/Pre_Roasted_Goose_p/prg.htm.

It has excellent reviews. It takes all the work and stress out of it. I was going to purchase one this year, but they don't feed a large number, and I had one guest who insist I make my traditional ham. It is a little pricey, but not outrageous for a once a year splurge.
    If anyone tries it post a review.

Never had goose
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Never had goose
    I think it's the most traditional thing that no one has ever had.

I actually did have it many years ago. My family decided to go out for Christmas dinner, but we all decided we never wanted to do it again. It wasn't the restaurants fault. It was a nice restaurant in a nice hotel (The Owl's Nest at the Westin hotel)the food was great, there was a woman playing Christmas carols on a Grand piano, they brought a boars head around, Santa was there, THE WORKS!!! It just wasn't the same. I feel bad thinking back because I know my parents spent a lot of money on it.

Anyway the choices were goose, turkey, ham, surf and turf, and a couple of other things. To be honest I don't really remember what goose tasted like.

Has anyone tried goose since this was posted? I had been thinking about goose myself, earlier this year, when I was looking at traditional Christmas menus. I'm guessing it tastes like chicken? Maybe a bit stronger in flavor?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Well if I resurrect my dinner and a movie idea, and I'm feeling flush with cash, I might try it and show Scrooge.
    While I don't mind spending that kind of money for the actual Christmas dinner, it seems kind of pricey for a casual night with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    While I don't mind spending that kind of money for the actual Christmas dinner, it seems kind of pricey for a casual night with friends.
    I agree!
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

I have not had one lately, but mu son asked if we could do it once. The only thing he did not care for was that the skin was so thick, you could not eat it... lol
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    I have not had one lately, but mu son asked if we could do it once. The only thing he did not care for was that the skin was so thick, you could not eat it... lol
    How would you describe the taste? Does it taste like a cross between duck and chicken?

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    How would you describe the taste? Does it taste like a cross between duck and chicken?
    Actually yes. There is all dark meat and it can be a little greasy depending on how long it is cooked with the extra thick skin...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    Actually yes. There is all dark meat and it can be a little greasy depending on how long it is cooked with the extra thick skin...
    Thank you so much! The one friend who is convinced he won't like it, always goes for the turkey legs. Hopefully I can convince him to give it a try. My other concern (not the best word to use. It's hardly an emergency) is a lot of the traditional goose sides aren't really what most North Americans consider traditional Christmas food. Can I ask what you served with yours?