Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre Roasted Goose

I tried making a goose today (not pre-roasted). It was 10.25 lbs for $70 (didn't notice the price tag until I got home). I looked at 3 different cookbooks (from the 1930's, 1960's & 1970's) and online. I decided to roughly follow Gordon Ramsay's way. I didn't do the flavorings, stuffing, etc as I wanted to know what plain goose tasted like, so just used salt. I cooked it for roughly 1.5 hrs (was supposed to be for medium rare). I also opted to leave it uncovered and baste it every 30 min (I did it twice). I suctioned out the fat/drippings after each baste. It wasn't as much fat as I thought it would be- he said to use a large bowl for it, but it fit in one of my glass storage containers. I had tried to lightly score the skin in a criss-cross, but ended up gouging it, since it was hard to cut through. I ended up doing the fork holes all over. I didn't truss the legs or wings.

I would try covering the pan next time, instead of basting (as one of the cookbooks suggested), as my oven is covered in fat.

I ended up getting 7.6 oz of edible meat off it, so I'm not sure why this was a traditional Christmas dinner. Did they not eat as much meat as we do today? I only eat an oz or 2 at a time, but I know plenty of people who think 4 oz is too little. So, this would serve 2-3 people.

And granted, I don't usually make whole birds, but because the bird is lean and I was trying to get all I could from it, it took me awhile to separate out the good meat from the tougher/connective tissue filled meat. I could never carry the full bird to the table and try and remove the skin there (I was covered in fat doing that) and carve it there. Maybe it's just me being inexperienced, but a turkey has a lot of meat on it and you could slice away during the dinner and not be wanting. But to have the removed goose meat on a dish for people to take from does not have the same traditional feel as displaying the whole bird.

The skin looked unappetizing, even to people who eat skin.

I like the taste of the meat. I wasn't sure what to expect, since they say it's strongly flavored. I just find it richer. And I love that it's dark meat. I'm actually sitting here eating it right now.

I'm making bone broth with the bones, it smells like turkey broth. I expect I will like that, too.

My mother wants to try and make a gravy with the drippings- it will be interesting to taste the difference between this and other poultry gravies.

Overall, the cooking of it wasn't bad (I would try for a bit less time next time).
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Thank you for your review/info, and congratulations on being fearless enough to give cooking it a try!
    At around 23 dollars serving, it doesn’t really sound like it’s worth it.
    Somewhere I have a quote from Julia Child on how to carve a goose at the table. When I find it , I will post it. She said you have to remove (something) first, “ otherwise you’ll make a terrible mess at the table “. I wish I could remember what it was you had to remove first. The second part is what stuck with me, and helped fuel my fear of cooking goose.

On a side note, I did cook a pheasant. Don’t waste your time. They aren’t cheap and taste like chicken. You are better off with Cornish Game Hens. They taste better, are easier to cook, look more festive and are less expensive.
    Last edited by JollyElfDC; 09-16-2022 at 07:18 AM.

I would think the skin should be removed- it was so greasy. But the pictures all show the skin on...and it doesn't look so hot with the skin off (being a thin bird and dark meat- it had kind of a greyish appearance).

Good to know about the pheasant, as it was on my list to try.

Have you cooked duck?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I have eaten duck several times, but I have only ever “ cooked” the ones from Costco. I don’t think it counts, because they’re already cooked and you are basically just warming it up. I have never roasted a raw duck.

Yes, the skin is way too thick. Once my son wanted a goose for Christmas. He tried the skin, but after a few moments of chewing, tossed it out... lol. I also enjoyed the dark meat and actually cooked it a bit less initially, carved it and then placed it back in the over for a brief period. Helped to get rid of some of the grease.
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Bishop- did you carve it with the skin on? I saw some videos that did that, I guess letting the guest decide if they'd like to try the skin.

When you say you put it back in the oven, do you mean the meat that you took off the bones or you put the bones back in?

I tried with the skin on, but it was a rough go, so I skinned it first (son did try it and hated it...lol). I placed it back in the over already carved and covered it for an additional 15 minuites. Bones of course were still in the legs, wings and thighs.
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"