Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back To School!!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

Back To School!!

Well, it's finally here! Next week we kick off the "ber" months, and my boys go back to school on Tuesday, September 8th. Once we get past Labor Day, the flood gates will open on Fall and Halloween decor at virtually all the stores!!

Funny...my boys are really excited for school this year. I actually think they're burned out on Summer activities.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    Well, it's finally here! Next week we kick off the "ber" months, and my boys go back to school on Tuesday, September 8th. Once we get past Labor Day, the flood gates will open on Fall and Halloween decor at virtually all the stores!!

Funny...my boys are really excited for school this year. I actually think they're burned out on Summer activities.
    Summer can get a bit boring for the kids. It's good to hear that they are excited.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post

Wow, you guys start school a lot later than us. My wife and daughter have been back at their teaching jobs since August 7, with in-service the week before. I wish they started when you guys do!
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

Quote Originally Posted by wstaple View Post
    Wow, you guys start school a lot later than us. My wife and daughter have been back at their teaching jobs since August 7, with in-service the week before. I wish they started when you guys do!
    We also usually start the Wednesday after Labor Day here in NYS. This year some schools are starting as early as Sept. 2nd - mainly due to the fact that Labor day is so late AND that there have been so many snow days the last few years (the schools don't want to be in the position of having to cancel vacation time in order to make up for it.) Remember - our school year doesn't end until late June.

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    We also usually start the Wednesday after Labor Day here in NYS. This year some schools are starting as early as Sept. 2nd - mainly due to the fact that Labor day is so late AND that there have been so many snow days the last few years (the schools don't want to be in the position of having to cancel vacation time in order to make up for it.) Remember - our school year doesn't end until late June.
    That's true. I think our schools get out the Thursday or Friday before Memorial Day.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Yeah...our schools go later in the Spring too. I think a lot of it is due to area weather. In MN, Spring isn't much fun until late May anyway because it's often still pretty cold, and there is probably still snow that has yet to melt. Our kids maximize Summer weather by going back a little later in the year. We're still having nice, Summer-like weather right now, and the "chill" of Autumn doesn't really hit us until late Sept.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Are you serious, Mike? Everyone here has been in school for a couple of weeks! When I was a kid, we always started the day after Labor Day. And it's so hot and muggy here, it's like summer just started.

When I was growing up, in Michigan, school always started after Labor Day. My grandchildren who live there now, still start school after Labor Day. But, in Florida, students start school in August, usually by the 24th, at the latest. So, yes, I think it's based on climate. When we moved there, the kids got out before Memorial Day, but for the past few years or so, they've gotten out in early June. My grandson who lives in Texas also starts school in August.

Steph - so good to see you!!! Yes, it is definitely climate related. Here in NYS it can be very warm/hot in both June and September however. The schools here do not have air conditioning for the most part - so they avoid August attendance. I remember that my kids had a 5th grade teacher who everyone requested because she used to bring in her own air conditioner! Many years ago, when I was student teaching at an upstate NY school - it was sooooo... hot in mid-May that you couldn't even think straight. I assume that the schools in the south do have air conditioning?

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Steph - so good to see you!!! Yes, it is definitely climate related. Here in NYS it can be very warm/hot in both June and September however. The schools here do not have air conditioning for the most part - so they avoid August attendance. I remember that my kids had a 5th grade teacher who everyone requested because she used to bring in her own air conditioner! Many years ago, when I was student teaching at an upstate NY school - it was sooooo... hot in mid-May that you couldn't even think straight. I assume that the schools in the south do have air conditioning?
    Yep, we've got air conditioning AND indoor plumbing!

Actually in the past, some schools have had to close for a day or so if the air conditioning in the school isn't working. I've always thought it would be better to start school in September down here to avoid the heat of August and air units being overworked to the point of breaking down.