Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas dinner table

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)

Christmas dinner table

I'm curious how everyone sets their Christmas table.

Do you go all out with silver and crystal?
    Do you just set the table like any other day?
    Do you do an adult table and a kids table?
    Do you own Christmas dishes?
    Do you switch it up every year?

There is no right or wrong answer. Everybody has their own style and traditions. I'm just curious, and I'm trying to come up with ideas myself.

My table (and my meal for that matter) depend on how many people I am having over. My dining room table only comfortably sits 4. If it's only 4 I do a simple setting with a centerpiece of floating candles. I have some Christmas napkins that are white with silver and gold running through them.

If I have more than 4 people, I borrow a long folding table from the condo party room. I cover the table with a red tablecloth and use green cloth napkins with long taper candles.

I bought quite a few clearance items after Christmas this year (napkin rings, charger plates, Christmas crackers) so it will probably look different from what my guests are used to.

I generally host a Christmas Eve buffet with anywhere from 8 to 15 people. The table is set with a red and green plaid wool tablecloth. The food is served in buffet warmers and on a variety of crystal and silver platters. I use crystal plates and wine glasses, as well as disposable festive napkins and cups. We eat casually in the living room. Christmas dinner is usually just us, our 2 daughters and their boyfriends, so we don't get very fancy!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

We decorate our whole house with beautiful flowers, candles, lights, my mom made our favorite food.. She decorate dinner table with Lovely Scented candles....
    We spend our Christmas eve together... Great fun and lots of love!
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 09-24-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    I'm curious how everyone sets their Christmas table.

Do you go all out with silver and crystal?
    Do you just set the table like any other day?
    Do you do an adult table and a kids table?
    Do you own Christmas dishes?
    Do you switch it up every year?

There is no right or wrong answer. Everybody has their own style and traditions. I'm just curious, and I'm trying to come up with ideas myself.

My table (and my meal for that matter) depend on how many people I am having over. My dining room table only comfortably sits 4. If it's only 4 I do a simple setting with a centerpiece of floating candles. I have some Christmas napkins that are white with silver and gold running through them.

If I have more than 4 people, I borrow a long folding table from the condo party room. I cover the table with a red tablecloth and use green cloth napkins with long taper candles.

I bought quite a few clearance items after Christmas this year (napkin rings, charger plates, Christmas crackers) so it will probably look different from what my guests are used to.
    Sounds good! I don't own any crystal or silver, but I always made a point of having a green tablecloth and using candles. My Christmas plates are called Friendly Village.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    Sounds good! I don't own any crystal or silver, but I always made a point of having a green tablecloth and using candles. My Christmas plates are called Friendly Village.

Those are beautiful!
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I love those plates! My tastes run very traditional and those are perfect.

When it comes to Christmas dinner. We make tons of food because everyone is welcomed. I hate the thought of any of my family and friends spending the holidays alone. I do have Christmas plates,mugs and platters. Every year I add add something extra so nothing really matches but it still works together. I also have a few cookie jars that I use through out the house as center pieces
    A Christmas hug should last a lifetime

Usually depends on how many we are going to host on Christmas. However, there is a Christmas tablecloth and two special plates/mugs that are reserved for that Christmas Eve dessert and hot chocolate for my wife and I to share...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

I have been making a concerted effort to use and rotate the different Christmas themed glasses, plates, bowls, etc that I own throughout December. I usually can't get around to using and appreciating all the nice things!

We all go out to eat Christmas Eve after church, and my sister hosts Christmas Day dinner. I did do Christmas breakfast one year, set up before going to bed, with white table cloths, jewel colored red and green charger plates, goldware, ice crystals scattered down the center of the table along with different colored/styled Christmas trees. We removed the main kitchen table and used two long folding tables end to end, so everyone could fit at the one table. And I put small wrapped gifts on everyone's plates (so after opening the gifts under the tree, there's another one for you!)

Because I don't usually host a Christmas dinner, I haven't actively collected dinner sets/dishes, just pieces here and there that I've liked, but after this year, my desire to socialize has increased and I'm thinking I'll be hosting meals in future Decembers, so will be needing to get more.

I do like the look of different glassware types being used together.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

My wife inherited a full set of Christmas china from her "aunt" (actually her mom's best friend) because "Aunt Sue" knew how much I loved Christmas. We only use it a couple of times during Christmas, but that almost makes it more special when we do use them. I LOVE seeing the table set with this china!
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."