Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas dinner table

This is the only place that I've come in contact with men who love Christmas. I've never met any in person. It's so nice that you guys exist somewhere.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I'm glad to see this brought back up. Since my original post, I have collected a fair number of tablecloths, napkin rings, salt and pepper shakers etc. Since my number of guests varies from year to year, I don't really worry about the quantity. For example I have 4 cardinal napkin rings that I picked up. I haven't used them yet, but if I need to set a table for 4 I can use them. If I have to do dinner for 8, I can either use other napkin rings, or set up 2 tables for 4 with completely different tablescapes. It's actually kind of fun putting things together. I have ideas for a snowflake themed table, a candy themed table, a woodsy themed table a Victorian themed table etc. The one thing I always do at these dinners is to use place cards. They add a nice touch, and for some reason people seem truly touched that you wrote their name on a piece of cardboard. ( It's weird what people react to. I get the same sense of wonder about making my own cranberry sauce) It is also my way of making sure the older guests get the most comfortable chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    This is the only place that I've come in contact with men who love Christmas. I've never met any in person. It's so nice that you guys exist somewhere.
    Thanks and I'm sorry you have not met any. For me it has (and always will) held a special place in my heart. When people ask, I reply that I will forever be child-like, just never childish... Keeping up with the day, NORAD reports Santa in Palana, Russia...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    I'm glad to see this brought back up. Since my original post, I have collected a fair number of tablecloths, napkin rings, salt and pepper shakers etc. Since my number of guests varies from year to year, I don't really worry about the quantity. For example I have 4 cardinal napkin rings that I picked up. I haven't used them yet, but if I need to set a table for 4 I can use them. If I have to do dinner for 8, I can either use other napkin rings, or set up 2 tables for 4 with completely different tablescapes. It's actually kind of fun putting things together. I have ideas for a snowflake themed table, a candy themed table, a woodsy themed table a Victorian themed table etc. The one thing I always do at these dinners is to use place cards. They add a nice touch, and for some reason people seem truly touched that you wrote their name on a piece of cardboard. ( It's weird what people react to. I get the same sense of wonder about making my own cranberry sauce) It is also my way of making sure the older guests get the most comfortable chairs.
    I like the idea of a woodsy themed table. Actually they all sound nice. And the place cards would be a good idea, because I know with our family get togethers, family members seem to clump together out of habit and it would be good to spread the young ones out among the older, and have the different members of families be able to talk with people they don't often see.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

I like the idea of a woodsy themed table. Actually they all sound nice. And the place cards would be a good idea, because I know with our family get togethers, family members seem to clump together out of habit and it would be good to spread the young ones out among the older, and have the different members of families be able to talk with people they don't often see.
    Mixing it up is a really nice Christmas touch...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

This isn't the greatest picture,(The tablecloth is actually more of a forest green. It looks black here) but this was the "woodsy- country" table I did. thumbnail country table _IMG_0117.jpg
    Last edited by JollyElfDC; 09-27-2021 at 11:11 PM.

Impressive. I especially like the "Chip & Dale" touch. Could be romantic, whimsical and of course Christmas-like...

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    Impressive. I especially like the "Chip & Dale" touch. Could be romantic, whimsical and of course Christmas-like...
    Chip and Dale are the salt and pepper shakers.

This isn't the greatest picture,(The tablecloth is actually more of a forest green. It looks black here) but this was the "woodsy- country" table I did.
    Nice! I like the large pine cones- I only have small ones. And the salt and pepper shakers are cute- especially with the fire in between them. The sleigh bell napkin rings are festive, too. Are the candles in the middle of the table flameless or candle holders? Are the plates black or forest green also?

This isn't the greatest picture,(The tablecloth is actually more of a forest green. It looks black here) but this was the "woodsy- country" table I did. thumbnail country table _IMG_0117.jpg
    The plates actually are black (not the most Christmassy, but it worked in person)and those are flame less candles that hadn't been turned on yet when I took the picture.