Thread: The End of an Era??

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

The End of an Era??

This Fall will mark 5 years since I joined this community. I started thinking about the things I posted back then versus more current. 5 years ago, my older son was 4 years old. My younger son was about 18 months old. By the time this Christmas comes, they will be 9 and 6. WOW!!! It's scary to me how fast the years are passing by.

As I lay in bed, just this morning, I was thinking about my older son, and when the magic may end for him in terms of Santa. He's still a believer, but I fear that time is drawing to a close. I'm hoping to squeeze out ONE more year of the magic for him before the influence of his classmates takes over and crushes the dream.

I was thinking back to my own childhood, and realized I must have been about 9 or 10 when my parents finally 'fessed up about the whole thing, even though I already pretty much knew it anyway. I wonder if my son already knows, but just hasn't told me yet.

It saddens me to think of my boy growing out of this wonderful, magical time in his life. I'm interested in hearing everyone else's stories of this time, whether it be your own experience as a child, or maybe how you "broke the news" to your own children. I'm sad and nervous about it.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

I would be surprised Mike, if he didn't already know. Both of my kids were 7 when they stopped believing. I had a fourth grade teacher who asked the class "Who still believes in Santa?" A few kids raised their hands - and boy were they teased afterwards. That is the one big problem with children believing after 8 or 9 years old. Sad. Just make sure that when he stops believing that you let him in on all the preps to make it special for your younger son. This will make it less likely that he will "spill the beans".
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

With our 2 daughters (now 24 and 20) it was different for both. With our oldest, it just kind of happened around age 8. Nothing dramatic, she just went from believing one year to "knowing the truth" the next.

However, with our youngest it was a bit more dramatic. I remember one day sitting in my recliner in the den. She was about 7 or 8 and came right up beside me in my chair. She said, "Daddy, is there really a Santa Claus? Tell me the truth." I said, "Of course there is, sweetie. Who do you think brings you all of those presents on Christmas morning? Mom and I can't afford that." She said, "Daddy, really. Tell me. Somebody told me Santa isn't real." I said, "Didn't we just see him at the mall last weekend?" She persisted to the point of getting so agitated that she was in tears and said, "Please, just tell me!" I said, "Santa is real, even if only you believe in him." I remember her storming out of the room, almost to the point of screaming, "I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!" She was so upset.

On a side note, I was about 8 when I stopped believing. I found my Big Jim motorcycle set in the laundry room above the washing machine about 3 weeks before Christmas.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

With regards to your side note...I still have a box LOADED with Big Jim and a TON of his outfits and accessories!! Nobody even remembers who Big Jim was!!!

I admit...both of your accounts have me feeling more worried. Maybe he's playing along because he knows how much Christmas means to ME. He sure still seems to believe though. He turns 9 in October. This Fall, he'll be in 3rd grade. I wonder if around that time, it will be a "hot topic" in school.

One positive note - Santa still comes for everyone at our house. So there's still that element of surprise on Christmas morning. May not be the same, but Santa is still involved.
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

Yeah...We did Santa at my house all the way up until my sister and I had families of our own. So, that much is a given with my kids!!

:santa:

Oh yes, there were always gifts from Santa - so he's never really gone. I feel it's always best to be honest with the kids when they ask. It is a sign that they are intelligent, logical thinkers. They trust us as their parents, and we don't want to betray their trust. Besides - if they are asking, then they really already know the answer!
    I remember, being told by several other kids that there was no Santa, when I was only 4 years old! I totally didn't believe them, and in fact, by the time our conversation was done, I had talked them into believing again! Four was just too young to question Santa!
    Oh, and Mike...yes, there will most likely be a lot of Santa talk in school this November and December. He may start to question it then, but may wait until after Christmas to say anything to you.
    Last edited by ornamentmaven; 04-14-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I guess we'll just see. He played along fine as far as the Easter Bunny is concerned.