Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Fruitcake Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    Wow, I actually feel like I'd like to try some, after the 'tastes like Christmas' comment and the marzipan frosting....I LOVE marzipan.
    Hate to say it, but I had to look up Marzipan. It does sound good...
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Wow, I actually feel like I'd like to try some, after the 'tastes like Christmas' comment and the marzipan frosting....I LOVE marzipan.
    As much as I love Marzipan, I don't think it would be the best choice for this particular cake. The first time I made it plain, the second time I made a rum glaze. The glaze recipe I found wasn't very good, so I'm still looking for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    Hate to say it, but I had to look up Marzipan. It does sound good...
    During all the years I've tried not to eat chocolate, marzipan was able to scratch the itch (as close as anything could), similar to my mother's spiced pumpkin pie. Good stuff. When I wasn't able to find any, a roll of almond paste would be good too.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    As much as I love Marzipan, I don't think it would be the best choice for this particular cake. The first time I made it plain, the second time I made a rum glaze. The glaze recipe I found wasn't very good, so I'm still looking for one.
    I've never heard of putting marzipan on top of something else. I'll have to remember that!

How was the fruitcake you made without frosting? I imagine it's very sweet by itself...
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Why do I always feel confused after I come to this thread? lol
    "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop1954 View Post
    Why do I always feel confused after I come to this thread? lol
    lol Sorry, I meant I never heard of marzipan as a topping for something before JollyElf mentioned her mother did it, and even though it wouldn't be good on the fruitcake, I still want to remember to possibly try and put it on something else. We always ate it by itself. I didn't mean it to sound like I had forgotten that I had just commented on it a few days ago. lol

And while I was thinking about it, I was wondering if fruit cake really needs frosting at all, as I thought it was sweet by itself. But maybe that recipe isn't as sweet?

And in your response to marzipan, I was just deviating from topic, speaking of marzipan in general.

I was multi-tasking and didn't word those posts well- sorry!

I was multi-tasking and didn't word those posts well- sorry!
    Not a problem darlin'. It's just that every time I come here I get a different version of fruitcake and keep wondering which one I should try. I appreciate the input from all of you...

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I've never heard of putting marzipan on top of something else. I'll have to remember that!

How was the fruitcake you made without frosting? I imagine it's very sweet by itself...
    It was good, but I felt a good rum flavored glaze would have kicked it up. It might not need one if you put the rum on it like the recipe says. A lot of my friends are teetotalers, so I didn't put any alcohol on the cake.

and the great "Fruitcake Debate" continues... lol This makes it a lot of fun to read.

I think I have found heaven with all thesse recipes!