Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: When do you traditionally start decorating for Christmas?

I start mid-November with a victorian village.
    Then, the last week end of November : the Christmas Tree !

Hi Elvira - good to see you here! Noel - I love setting up my Victorian Village. It is a lot of work - but well worth it!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Noel_Joyeux View Post
    I start mid-November with a victorian village.

I don't think I've ever seen a Victorian one...
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a Victorian one...
    I had a Dept. 56 New England one that I finally took to Goodwill because I was running out of space.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    I had a Dept. 56 New England one that I finally took to Goodwill because I was running out of space.
    That's interesting- something for everyone. Do you own any villages now?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    That's interesting- something for everyone. Do you own any villages now?
    No, my little house got filled to the brim!

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

I love my village. It's a mix of styles, just like a real village would be. It is just soooooo..... much work to set up. This year, with the move, I'll be lucky to get a tree in place!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

We'll be travelling for Thanksgiving this year, so I'll try to get everything finished before we go out of town. I'll start putting up our trees and inside decorations on either Friday, November 20 or Saturday the 21st this year. Probably start with putting up the full-size trees in the den and bonus room since they take the longest. While I'm doing that, my wife will sort through the decoration boxes to see what we will and won't use this year. (We bought a few decorations in Alaska this summer, but neither of us can remember where we put them! Hoping to find them within the next month.) After the trees are up, I'll put the lighted garland and lighted wreath on the inside stair railings. My wife has a collection of Snowbabies. About half of them are in a curio cabinet in the dining room year-round, but we get the rest of them out at Christmas. After this we'll put out a couple of tabletop trees and decorate hallway tables upstairs and downstairs.

I'll get the outside lights up on the 21st or 22nd, depending upon the weather, but I won't turn them on until the weekend after Thanksgiving. I usually wrap the trees on the front corners of the house with clear mini-lights, and then drape clear C9 lights on the front of the wood fence on both sides of the house. I'm hoping to find a couple of outdoor lighted wreaths or maybe lighted stars to put on the fence this year. We put a Christmas wreath on the front door and light it with a spotlight. We also use lighted garland around the top and sides of the front door.

It takes a little while to get everything the way it needs to be, but I love doing this. Seems like the house always looks so full and festive during the Christmas season!
    "The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

I usually begin on Black Friday and hope to do some, this year, but I began dialysis treatments in Jul and I'm usually done in, once my treatment is over, but I am hoping to do some that day. Then, Saturday, we always go and pick out our tree, get that up and then decorate that on Sunday. Exciting days are coming!
    I Love This Christmasy Time of Year!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFanatic View Post
    I usually begin on Black Friday and hope to do some, this year, but I began dialysis treatments in Jul and I'm usually done in, once my treatment is over, but I am hoping to do some that day. Then, Saturday, we always go and pick out our tree, get that up and then decorate that on Sunday. Exciting days are coming!
    I'm sorry for your health problems.

I hung my Christmas potholders today.