Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: most memorable Christmas album/tape from your childhood?

I am calling her today! She has a good memory about most things - but others, she's clue-less!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

My most memorable Christmas album from childhood was a Bing Crosby one - with White Christmas and I'll be Home for Christmas. Don't know the official name, but it was great

Oregongirl, I hope somebody can help, things like that can drive ya crazy trying to remember! It just doesn't ring any bells with me. All I could think of was the Vienna Boy's Choir.

Ornamentmaven, it's hard to go wrong with Bing! So very many truly priceless Christmass albums by so many, I'm not sure I could choose!
    Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

This is the only album I remember that my mother had:

And that was between stepfathers. I was thirteen I think. We had lousy Christmases with the two stepfathers.

But I remember my Boston Pops album that we listened to right after we got married. I chose it, loved it, still have it and even bought a CD of it. I always think of this album first.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    This is the only album I remember that my mother had:

And that was between stepfathers. I was thirteen I think. We had lousy Christmases with the two stepfathers.

But I remember my Boston Pops album that we listened to right after we got married. I chose it, loved it, still have it and even bought a CD of it. I always think of this album first.

Don't know anything about the first album, but the Boston Pops Christmas albums are always good.

Oregongirl - no luck with my Mom- she doesn't remember it at all

As you can see, The Columbus Boychoir sang with Bing Crosby(spell check doesn't want boychoir to be one word):

Leonard Bernstein Kaddish Symphony, Private Label (1966), The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director
    Columbus Boychoir School 25th Anniversary Concert, June 5 1965 (1965), Private issue, The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director, Live concert recording, Westminster Choir College
    Columbus Boychoir Christmas Concert, December 1964 (1964), Private issue, The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director, Live concert recordings, Alexander Hall (Princeton), 12-inch LP recordings of excerpts from Christmas portion of Handel’s Messiah (+Hallelujah), 10-inch LP recording of Christmas carols
    Firestone presents Your Favorite Christmas Carols (1963), Columbus Boychoir with the Rise Stevens, Brian Sullivan, and the Firestone Orchestra and Chorus, Donald Bryant, director
    Family Christmas Favorites, c. 1962, Decca, The Columbus Boychoir with Bing Crosby, Donald Bryant, Conductor
    The Columbus Boychoir, c. 1962, Donald Bryant, Music Director
    Christmastime, c. 1960, Decca, The Columbus Boychoir with other choirs, Donald Bryant, conductor
    Singing for the Joy of It (1961), Decca DL 74135, The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director
    Joy to the World, c. 1960, Decca DL 78920, The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director
    The Columbus Boychoir, c. 1960, Gothic, The Columbus Boychoir with the Princeton Chamber Orchestra, Nicholas Harsanyi, Conductor; Joanna Richard, Soprano; Rachel Armstrong, Alto, Donald Bryant, Conductor
    Festival of Song (1955), Decca DL 8106, The Columbus Boychoir, Herbert Huffman, Music Director
    Arrigo Boito Mephistofele “Prologue” (1954), RCA, The Columbus Boychoir with the NBC Symphony Orchestra, Arturo Toscanini, Conductor; Nicola Moscona, Bass., Herbert Huffman, Conductor, Taken from the broadcast of March 14 (1954)
    Amahl and the Night Visitors, Original Cast of the NBC telecast (1951), RCA 6485-2-RG, American Boychoir chorister Chet Allen
    The Lord’s Prayer; O Holy Night, c. 1950, RCA Victor, The Columbus Boychoir, Herbert Huffman, conductor
    Favorite Christmas Carols, c. 1947, The Columbus Boychoir, Herbert Huffman, Music Director
    The Columbus Boychoir – May 6 1947 concert, Herbert Huffman, Music Directo

Here's more:

Paper dated December 1, 1961

Columbus Boychoir To Sing
    Christmas Opera At Barry

"Amahl and the Night Visitors,"
    an opera which has now
    become a traditional part of the
    American observance of Christmas,
    will be presented by the
    Columbus Boychoir at 8:15 p. m.
    Monday, Dec. 4, in the Barry
    College auditorium.
    * The concert, third attraction
    of the Barry Culture Series,
    will also include folk songs,
    sacred music and spirituals.
    Organized in Columbus, Ohio,
    with an initial enrollment of 30
    boys in 1940, the Boychoir attracted
    attention throughout the
    U. S. and after local and national
    radio performances the boys
    made their metropolitan debut
    in New York's Town Hall in
    Subsequent concerts were given
    in Carnegie Hall, Radio City
    Music Hall, the Academy of
    Music in Philadelphia and
    principal auditoriums throughout
    the country. The boys, under
    the direction of Donald Bryant,
    have sung with the New York
    Philharmonic, the Philadelphia
    Orchestra, the NBC Symphony
    under the baton of Toscanini
    and the Bach Aria Group.
    In addition to making a film
    for RKO titled, "America's
    Singing Boys," the choir, its
    adult soloists, faculty members
    and more than 1,000
    pounds of "Amahl" scenery
    and costumes, completed an
    airborne 20,000 mile tour of 18
    South and Central American
    countries, singing more than
    50 concerts in eight weeks to
    audiences of nearly 75,000 Latin
    Americans.
    During the opera which will
    be sung in English, Mary Evelyn
    Bruce will be seen as the
    mother of Amahl and Gerald
    Carpenter, Alan Olsen and
    Franklyn Ehrhardt will appear
    as the Three Kings.
    http://library.stu.edu/ulma/va/3005/1961/12-01-1961.pdf

My brother and his ex-wife used to teach at Barry.
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 11-23-2014 at 03:24 AM.

I was wrong about the Firestone album; it hadn't come out when I was thirteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    I was wrong about the Firestone album; it hadn't come out when I was thirteen.

I've always wanted to buy one of those. As far as I can remember, I've never heard one. From what I've been able to dig up, Firestone got the idea from Goodyear. Seeing the success of those albums, they decided to try it. Love the history of a lot of this stuff!
    Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.