Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A shortage of Christmas Specials and TV

A shortage of Christmas Specials and TV

I can only speak to the USA but is anyone else noticing a shortage of Christmas Specials and TV over the years? Maybe I am being nostalgic, but it seems like the Holiday special was a staple of most TV shows years ago?
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I know exactly what you mean. I think a big part of that is so many shows vary in their filming schedule. Also, the networks pick varying weeks to premier their Fall lineup. So, they never know exactly which week a given episode will air. I just think since it isn't as "cut and dry" as it used to be, most shows opt not to try to tie in a "holiday" episode. I still see it in several of the sit-coms.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Yes, when I was a kid most tv shows had Christmas shows and there were many Christmas specials. Now we mainly see reruns, which are nostalgic and fun to watch - but we've memorized all the lines and there are no surprise endings!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    This Christmas will be the 50th anniversary of the Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer special. I am guessing they will make a big deal over it. It will be kind of sad if it just airs without any special mention.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    This Christmas will be the 50th anniversary of the Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer special. I am guessing they will make a big deal over it. It will be kind of sad if it just airs without any special mention.
    Oh I hope so. I vividly remember the very first airing of Rudolph. I was 8 years old and thought is was magical! My father, who was an artist, actually did the artwork for an animated Christmas special back in the 1960's - then the height of popularity for this format. Unfortunately, the writers never sold the feature to the networks, so it ended there. Exciting times!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Oh I hope so. I vividly remember the very first airing of Rudolph. I was 8 years old and thought is was magical! My father, who was an artist, actually did the artwork for an animated Christmas special back in the 1960's - then the height of popularity for this format. Unfortunately, the writers never sold the feature to the networks, so it ended there. Exciting times!
    How cool! Do you have his artwork? I know it was a long time ago, but do you remember what the unsold script script was about?

How cool! Do you have his artwork? I know it was a long time ago, but do you remember what the unsold script script was about?
    I will have to check with my Mom. I used to know what the script was about- but my memory fails me now

I have noticed some Christmas shows recently got added to Netflix. Christmas with the Cranks is one of them. When I get a chance I'm going to watch it. I've never seen it before.

I have noticed some Christmas shows recently got added to Netflix. Christmas with the Cranks is one of them. When I get a chance I'm going to watch it. I've never seen it before.
    I noticed that, too. Christmas with the Kranks is pretty funny.

I am a Christmas junkie like everyone else here. The problem I am facing is as follows. I am always tempted to watch Christmas movies in the late spring through early fall. After early Fall, there is so much going on that time kind of flies until Christmas. My problem is that I have a 5 year old kid who also loves Christmas. I think that if he sees Christmas movies throughout the year, that it may take away from the excitement that I remember having when I was a kid when I started seeing Christmas stuff in stores, on tv, knowing that the big day was right around the corner!

Do you all think that kids can be desensitized to the excitement of the season if they watch Christmas shows in the Summer time?