New Year's Day Hoppin' John

Hoppin' John 3

3 bacon slices, diced
    1 sm. onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 (15 oz.) can blackeye peas
    1 c. water
    1 c. original Minute rice
    Cook bacon in medium saucepan, until crisp. Add onion, celery; cook and stir until lightly browned. Add peas with liquid. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add water; bring to boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.

I've been making this for years. Hoppin' John is a tradition in the South but I never heard of it until my sister came home from spending the night at my aunt's house in Florida. They ate New Year's dinner next door at my aunt's neighbors'. My sister said she had hog jowls and black-eyed peas. I've never used hog jowls. My recipe came from a little Minute Rice recipe book.

My mother never cooked black-eyed peas to my knowledge. She was from up north.
    Last edited by Merry Christmas Darling; 11-07-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: There should not be a 3 after the recipe name, but I can't make it go away

Love Hoppin' John MCD give this Texas version a try and cornbread is a must.

1 pound dried black-eyed peas
    2 small smoked ham hocks or meaty ham bone
    2 medium onions, divided
    3 large cloves garlic, halved
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup long-grain white rice
    1 can (10 to 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chile peppers, juices reserved
    1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    3 ribs celery, chopped
    1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
    2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    4 green onions, sliced

In a large Dutch oven or kettle, combine the black-eyed peas, ham bone or ham hocks, and 6 cups water.
    Cut 1 of the onions in half and add it to the pot along with the garlic and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer gently until the beans are tender but not mushy, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
    Remove the ham bone or hocks, cut off the meat; dice and set aside. Drain the peas and set aside. Remove and discard the bay leaf, onion pieces, and garlic.
    Add 2 1/2 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and simmer until the rice is almost tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Mince the remaining onion then add to the rice along with the peas, tomatoes, and their juices, red and green bell pepper, celery, jalapeno pepper, Creole seasoning, thyme, cumin, and salt.
    Cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the sliced green onions and the reserved diced ham. Serve with hot sauce and freshly baked cornbread.
    Papa_Christmas

'I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future!' Scrooge repeated, as he scrambled out of bed. 'The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. Oh, Jacob Marley! Heaven, and the Christmas Time be praised for this! I say it on my knees, old Jacob, on my knees!' (Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol)

I will have to give this a try. I've never had black-eyed oeas
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Yes, you serve it with cornbread and collard greens; this meal is a must if you want good luck all year. Oh, BTW, I started buying frozen black-eyed peas for this; they're better than canned.

The Texas version is spicy, of course. Thanks, Papa. My honey always added Tabasco sauce to his.