Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Lights

me too I love pics of decorated trees.
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

I love the old big lights...maybe nostalgia...who knows. I have a LOT of the incandescents that are long, thin, and have the pointed tips (glass). However, I'm in the process of buying all LEDs...theiy're cooler, not the hazard, and cost MUCH less to run. I made the decision to switch last year. But it is funny...20 minutes ago I was reading yesterday's mail wherein our local power company wrote:

[bold]Use LEDs to light up your home this holiday season [/bold]

The LED, a type of semiconductor, generates light when an electric current is passed through positive and negative materials. As there is no filament to heat, LEDs are 12 to 100 times more efficient than incandescents and generate less heat.* Benefits include:

• Energy savings – LEDs use a tiny fraction of kilowatt-hours (kwh) of energy compared to incandescents. [bold]During a 90-day holiday season using a 300-bulb string for six hours a day with an energy rate of 6.4˘ per kwh, you’ll pay $0.53 for a string of LED lights (0.05 kwh per bulb) versus $73.58 for a string of incandescents (7 kwh per bulb). [/bold] LEDs cost more than incandescents; however, energy savings will allow costs to be recouped in the first season or two (be careful to review packages carefully as LEDs tend to be sold in shorter strings).

• Safety – LEDs run much cooler than incandescents, reducing fire hazards. Because they run much cooler, LEDs can be constructed with plastic bulbs instead of glass, reducing their likelihood to break. Make sure lights you purchase have a holographic “UL Listed” tag.

• Environment – LEDs do not use mercury and last at least twice as long as incandescent lights, reducing waste we create when throwing out old lights.

• Brightness – Mini-LEDs tend to be brighter than incandescents. Regular LEDs are a bit dimmer than incandescents, but the difference is moderate.

*Source: consumerreports.org
    persimmonpudding.com: dedicated to growing, education, and use of Diospyros virginiana L., the common, or American persimmon...and persimmon pudding is ALWAYS a holiday favorite!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    Do you have any pics of your Jim Shore tree Marhmallowworld? I would love to see the finished product.
    I'll try to take pics soon. Right now I have too many storage containers in my living room. I have trouble going up and down the stairs to the basement because of arthritis in my knees. I keep almost all of my Christmas decorations downstairs.

This is last year's Jim Shore tree:

Pretty. I have containers all over my house also. Don't you just love it.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I can't wait to see your full size one. My house is a mess right now too, and my tree isn't even up yet. lol

:light:

I know that the professionals when decorating tree's they say to use (for mini's) 100 lights per foot.What is it if you use the led's?

cinderedna Guest
    You can always try LED C7 lights, they don't get hot like the regular C7s but they look just like them. I was planning on using them on my roof next Christmas, but you could also use them on your tree. ChristmasWorld is a good website to get them at. The lights on this site are apparently higher quality than what you get a target and other places, but still an excellent price. Oh and they also have the regular C7 lights.

:tree:

I love the C7 lights, but have been nervous to use them again. The LED's I've seen of them don't have the same rich color...they're on the cool side (colorwise).

I also miss the lights blinking independently- they would throw such pretty patterns on the walls and ceiling.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

I use to love when the lights blinked independently. I haven't seen that in a long time.

reitan_family Guest
    After Christmas, my wife and I took a few trips to the Wal-Marts with-in a 50 mile range and purchased several string boxes of "C9" bulbs that were mixed. But with enough colors, our daughter changed the strings to solid colors. I know that the power meter will spin this Christmas, but we will enjoy the color...