Thread: Mason Dixon Annual Christmas Party

Mason Dixon Annual Christmas Party

My dad worked for Mason Dixon trucking lines when I was growing up. Back in the late 60s/early 70s, Mason Dixon would have an annual Christmas party for the children of its employees. They would rent out a local movie theater for the day and show a kids' movie. (I believe they had to do this either 2 or 3 times that day in order to accommodate everyone.) All kids would get a Christmas stocking filled with small toys and candy as we went into the theater. They provided free popcorn and Cokes. After the movie, Santa would arrive with a huge sack of toys on his back. Each child would get a present from Santa. Seems like the boys would get a basketball, football or toy cap pistols, and the girls would get a doll or a plastic cooking set.

It's rare to see this kind of thing these days. With profit margins being squeezed more and more, it's hard for companies to justify an expense that doesn't eventually lead to a bigger bottom line. But I think the owner of the company saw it as more of an investment in his employees and their families.

"The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear."

I love to see companies do something special for the children! In the town I used to live in - Sloatsburg, NY - the local American Legion would sponsor The Santa Train every year. They would drive around town and make scheduled stops at designated corners. Santa had a bag of goodies for all the kids. I don't know who enjoyed it more - the Legionaires or the kids!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by wstaple View Post
    It's rare to see this kind of thing these days. With profit margins being squeezed more and more, it's hard for companies to justify an expense that doesn't eventually lead to a bigger bottom line. But I think the owner of the company saw it as more of an investment in his employees and their families.
    My Dad worked for Aetna insurance and they had an annual Christmas party, too, with Santa handing out gifts.
    One of the marks of a good company is how they invest in the happiness of their employees, and like you said, it's rare to see these days.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.