Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you do on Christmas Day?

We usually have family over, we eat, open presents and then the guys play poker while the ladies sit around and gossip. My friends usually have a tradition of meeting up Christmas night at a bar to celebrate but I usually skip out on that.. I tried it last year.. not for me. I rather spend the time with my family

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Presents, break for sweet rolls, more presents...clean up all the wrappings. Then get ready to go to my in-laws and do it all over again. It's been the same now since the boys were born. We usually do Christmas with my parents & family on the Saturday after Christmas.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by olga View Post
    Christmas Day!! I would love to sit near the fireplace (wish i had..), drinking hot wine, reading my books, while listening to old Christmas jazz songs on player...

I usually spend Christmas day with family, have dinner all together, then, the younger (including me!!) go outside for a coffee or a drink with friends.
    I know what you mean about a fireplace, Olga. Both houses I lived in as a child had fireplaces. the first one had a regular fireplace and the second had a gas one with fake logs, but they looked almost real. I haven't lived in a house with a fireplace since.

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    I know what you mean about a fireplace, Olga. Both houses I lived in as a child had fireplaces. the first one had a regular fireplace and the second had a gas one with fake logs, but they looked almost real. I haven't lived in a house with a fireplace since.
    Honestly, I would not mind doing anything else, than sitting near the fire, watch the flames, listen to beautiful classical Christmas melodies.
    Hope one day, we live in a house with fireplace, friend. Were both so much old Christmas traditional, I think!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

Quote Originally Posted by olga View Post
    Honestly, I would not mind doing anything else, than sitting near the fire, watch the flames, listen to beautiful classical Christmas melodies.
    Hope one day, we live in a house with fireplace, friend. Were both so much old Christmas traditional, I think!!
    yes, we definitely are. and I think you mean 'classic' Christmas melodies, and not 'classical' just going by the type of Christmas music you have posted that you like over the years. Now, I, on the other hand, much prefer classical christmas music to classic Christmas music. (classic meaning the likes of Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, etc.....in other words, crooners.)

In years past when I was married Christmas started on Christmas Eve. My wife, son and I would go to my parents house, have dinner, and celebrate Christmas with them by opening gifts and just hanging out. Then we would go home, go to bed, and wake up the next morning and celebrate Christmas at our home and open gifts and such. Then the rat race began. It was up and at em, and on our way to her grandparent's house, then to dinner at her sister's house. It was a long day to say the least, and my son was not in the mood for missing his naps. One thing we began doing was eating a late dinner at the hibachi place in our town as they were open on Christmas. It was a fun tradition we just started. This year things will be different, my son and I will have Christmas at my parent's house, then he will wake up with me Christmas morning then I will take him to his mom's house.

We usually begin opening presents between 9 - 10 AM in my family, and then chill out until Christmas dinner at around 1:00 PM. The dinner is a full roast, with Christmas pudding for dessert. The afternoon is spent with more chilling out (watching The Snowman if it happens to be on on Christmas Day this particular year), and then in the evening we lay out a buffet on the table and watch tons of Christmas specials on TV. Usually soap operas and Doctor Who, along with various others.
    Merry Christmas

It's only the 2 of us retired couple, we do open pkgs. that are ordered online months before, and later early evening, we go out of town to a big dinner theater for an awesome huge buffet and a big production broadway type show.

Quote Originally Posted by polrwht07 View Post
    In years past when I was married Christmas started on Christmas Eve. My wife, son and I would go to my parents house, have dinner, and celebrate Christmas with them by opening gifts and just hanging out. Then we would go home, go to bed, and wake up the next morning and celebrate Christmas at our home and open gifts and such. Then the rat race began. It was up and at em, and on our way to her grandparent's house, then to dinner at her sister's house. It was a long day to say the least, and my son was not in the mood for missing his naps. One thing we began doing was eating a late dinner at the hibachi place in our town as they were open on Christmas. It was a fun tradition we just started. This year things will be different, my son and I will have Christmas at my parent's house, then he will wake up with me Christmas morning then I will take him to his mom's house.

I know it's a little awkward taking him back to his mom's, but if you establish a tradition for the two of you(father and son), he'll appreciate that all his life. Children seem to love special traditions and evidently(at least according to this thread) adults do, too.

Christmas Day hubby and I get up early (It's the only day of the year he actually enjoys getting up at 6AM…LOL). We open presents, then hubby will shower while I pack up gifts to go to our parents.

We have been rotating between in-laws and my parents for breakfast and dinner every year. This year we are at my in-laws for breakfast and my parents for supper. It's pretty much just presents and food for the day…haha. But we'll watch movies or maybe play a game. Just enjoying family time is the best

Honestly, I'm all "Christmased out" by dinner-time that day. I start looking forward to New Years Eve and fresh feeling of a New Year!
    "Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
    Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth..."