Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever stolen your outdoor decorations?

Has anyone ever stolen your outdoor decorations?

My parents aren't quite up for the task of doing outdoor decorations anymore, and I'm more than happy to decorate their house for them since they don't live that far away. Anyway, this past winter, someone stole the extension cords going from the front of their house out to the Christmas lights in their front yard. The police said it was most likely copper thieves.

Has anyone here ever had Christmas decorations stolen? Any ideas/suggestions for ways to prevent such thefts from taking place? I'm not going to let thieves deter me from decorating my folks' place this year.

Not personally, bvut I have heard of other people complaining about thefts
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I put my decorations out on my 3rd storey balcony, so would-be thieves would need a ladder to steal them.
    My pastor used to put all kinds of decorations out on his lawn, but they were regularly stolen/broken. I don't think he does that anymore.

I haven't personally had any of mine stolen, but I do live in a gated community where everyone knows everyone and knows who the trouble makers are. My across the street neighbor had a great set up her first year here with a bunch of jumbo candies and lollypops and about a week after she put them up, all of the candies were gone. We found the pieces strewn all over the community for the next two weeks and she put them back up. I'd suggest setting up a floodlight to go off when something moves around the decorations. Unless the decorations themselves move because the light will be on all night. But a lot of the times, the people who steal stuff like this aren't doing it to resell. They're usually annoying teenage kids who are bored and if the lights go on, someone is more likely to wake up and catch them.

"It isn't the holly, it isn't the snow. It isn't the tree, not the firelight's glow. It's the warmth that comes to the hearts of men then the Christmas spirit returns again." - Unknown

It hasn't happened to me yet, but I worry about it. I have 14 Christmas trees and some inflatables in the yard that I secure with steal cables and locks. I keep the Christmas controllers safe in the garage.
    http://ListenToOurLights.com
    Follow-me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/rrlights
    Follow-me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Listen-to-our-Lights/185224971516577
    Blog: http://listentoourlights.tumblr.com/

That's crazy that this occurs even in a gated community. When I go over to my folks' place this year to do decorations, I plan to do what jstorms mentioned (secure everything that could otherwise be easily stolen). Thanks for all the input!

You can use handmade items that are:-each letter carved into the wood,flame burned, handcarved lettering,lamps etc for outside decorations.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Unfortunately, it's a calculated risk for anyone who does outdoor displays. I know people who have security cameras and whatnot, but most people can't afford that kind of stuff. So far, I haven't had any problems. However, this year I'm a bit nervous because my display will be much bigger, and closer to the sidewalk. As mentioned before, it's typically not a "professional" thief. It's usually bored teenagers who get a kick out of it without really thinking or caring about the impact it has. I am just praying that I won't get targeted this year.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Never happened to me because I live on the third floor and I never heard something like this happened in my neighbourhood too
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

The street I live on you couldn't put them up, because the second you blinked, they would be gone :(
    ~Michael