Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Snowman

:snow: The Snowman

A short film that has become a Christmas tradition in the UK is The Snowman by Raymond Briggs. It's been played every Christmas on Channel 4 since 1981.

They've announced this year that after 31 years, The Snowman will be getting a sequel 'The Snowman and the Snowdog', which will be broadcast this year.

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without The Snowman - I love it!

I bought "the Snowman" a few years ago from a bargain bin at Walmart. I had never seen it before but had heard about it a little. It is certainly endearing. I hope the sequel is done equally well, although I am skeptical.

We shall wait and watch.

Raymond Briggs also created this http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...d=uM8WAQAAMAAJ as well as the infamous "When the Wind Blows"comic strip based on the discredited 'Protect and Survive' nuclear survival guide http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=x...ed=0CDgQ6AEwAA
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

I need to look for this DVD - I've never seen it!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by HolidaySeason View Post
    A short film that has become a Christmas tradition in the UK is The Snowman by Raymond Briggs. It's been played every Christmas on Channel 4 since 1981.

They've announced this year that after 31 years, The Snowman will be getting a sequel 'The Snowman and the Snowdog', which will be broadcast this year.

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without The Snowman - I love it!
    I hope it's a magical as ...index.jpg
    Merry Christmas to all...

The Snowman is actually one of three Raymond Briggs Christmas classics, the other two being The Bear and The Father Christmas, both of which reference The Snowman.

The three of them are usually broadcast on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Never miss them.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I have never seen this either. I grew up in Canada and I don't remember it ever being aired there. I saw the DVD at the store just yesterday. It was pretty inexspensive, but I didn't pick it up. I might have to go back and purchase it.

I've never heard of it! I am definitely going to look this up - can't believe I'm missing out on a UK Classic! I LOOOVE British Culture!

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I just found it on youtube. I'm going to watch it.

Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCEvL_hdN2A
    Last edited by JollyElfDC; 11-21-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Amazed that nobody from the USA and Canada has heard of it - it's become part of Christmas culture here in the UK - I would recommend watching it.