Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas confectionary

Quote Originally Posted by xmasjules View Post
    Croquembouche is proffiteroles, filled with custard cream and then dipped in toffee and shaped into a cone shape (it looks like a Christmas tree).
    That. Sounds. AMAZING!

Croquembouche is proffiteroles, filled with custard cream and then dipped in toffee and shaped into a cone shape (it looks like a Christmas tree).
    OMG that sounds great! You may have to post the recipe!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

:tree:

To make a Croquembouche (French word that means crunch to the mouth), you need to first make proffiteroles. I use the recipe for chocolate eclairs with custard cream that is on the "Taste.com.au" website. However, instead of piping long lengths, I use spoons to make small balls that will puff up to approx twice their size once cooked.

When cooled, I fill with custard cream. For this, I just make a really thick custard (like you would for vanilla slice). Then I whip 300ml cream until really thick. Then I combine the two and beat until light and fluffy. You can use the custard cream recipe with the eclair recipe, but I find the cream doesn't whip as well once the custard is added, so you need to whip the cream seperately and make the custard thicker (probably double the custard powder in the recipe), but that is just my opinion. Feel free to experiment until you get a thickness you like.

Then you need to make toffee. I make mine green, as I decorate it as a Christmas tree, however most places make it plain golden brown toffee and decorate with sugared flowers. If you google "croquembouche", you can see images of how people decorate them. I just use a normal toffee recipe used for toffee apples, as you want a thin layer of toffee that will set hard. Again, if you google "croquembouche", it will also give you recipes for the toffee and the proffiteroles along with instructions on how to put them together.

I was going to buy the croquembouche tin, but it is so expensive. I may just buy an orange witches hat (traffic cone), and pile the proffiteroles around the outside of it (after covering the cone in cling wrap first of course). This way I can remove the cone from the croquembouche and pull out the cling wrap when serving.

I will try to get a photo to attach here when I set everything up for the morning tea (December 03rd).
    Last edited by xmasjules; 09-24-2012 at 09:57 AM.

To make a Croquembouche (French word that means crunch to the mouth), you need to first make proffiteroles. I use the recipe for chocolate eclairs with custard cream that is on the "Taste.com.au" website. However, instead of piping long lengths, I use spoons to make small balls that will puff up to approx twice their size once cooked.

When cooled, I fill with custard cream. For this, I just make a really thick custard (like you would for vanilla slice). Then I whip 300ml cream until really thick. Then I combine the two and beat until light and fluffy. You can use the custard cream recipe with the eclair recipe, but I find the cream doesn't whip as well once the custard is added, so you need to whip the cream seperately and make the custard thicker (probably double the custard powder in the recipe), but that is just my opinion. Feel free to experiment until you get a thickness you like.

Then you need to make toffee. I make mine green, as I decorate it as a Christmas tree, however most places make it plain golden brown toffee and decorate with sugared flowers. If you google "croquembouche", you can see images of how people decorate them. I just use a normal toffee recipe used for toffee apples, as you want a thin layer of toffee that will set hard. Again, if you google "croquembouche", it will also give you recipes for the toffee and the proffiteroles along with instructions on how to put them together.

I was going to buy the croquembouche tin, but it is so expensive. I may just buy an orange witches hat (traffic cone), and pile the proffiteroles around the outside of it (after covering the cone in cling wrap first of course). This way I can remove the cone from the croquembouche and pull out the cling wrap when serving.

I will try to get a photo to attach here when I set everything up for the morning tea (December 03rd).
    Thanks for the recipe. Proffiteroles are like cream puffs, as I thought. Sounds great
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Gold coins are a big love at Christmas for me

I look forward to seeing eggnog on the shelf, also maybe mint hot cocoa. I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.

and what are proffiteroles? I know I could just look it up, lol.

profiteroles are a bite size piece of heaven

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    We don't buy too many store-bought treats for Christmas.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    We don't buy too many store-bought treats for Christmas.
    Do you and/or your wife make your own treats, or are you just trying to keep the kids sugar levels down? I know different parents that try not to have sweets in the house at Christmas simply because their children are excited enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by storm85 View Post
    profiteroles are a bite size piece of heaven
    Absolutely !!!! Yum !!! ......Click here

So are macaroons ...Click >>>