Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decorating Your First House

Decorating Your First House

Most of us probably helped decorate the outside of our parents' houses growing up, but do you remember anything you did differently once you owned your own house?

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    My parents never did ANY outdoor decorating. That's something I always wanted to do as a kid, but never could. Now that I have kids of my own, I LOVE doing a big yard display.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

My Dad only put up one strand of large lights round the front porch. I mainly decorate the shrubs
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

My parents never did outside decorating either except for windows from the inside. Christmas was my mother’s favorite time of year and she talked about it all year long.

I never decorated anything until I had kids later on in life. When I first saw the excitement in their tiny little faces with their eyes so big, I felt like a little kid myself. It was infectious and before I knew it, I was decorating everything and the more smiles I got, the more I did.

It's infectious. Every year, I want to do more and more.

my parents always used colored lights my mom loved Christmas too.
    But when i did my own house i used gold or white but i never mixed my lights ever .
    last year because of my 2 grands I used red & white
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    Most of us probably helped decorate the outside of our parents' houses growing up, but do you remember anything you did differently once you owned your own house?
    My mother loved Christmas but she only decorated indoors. I never had outside lights myself until about 1990 or 1991. I'ved tried various decorations outdoors, but they usually blew over. Now I mainly put lights on the shrubs and a wreath on the door. We also put green bulbs in the outside garage lights. If our porch had a railing, I'd use lighted garland and bows.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

:snow:

mmm.. good thread.

Well, when I owned my own home, it was really difficult to do all those things I used to do in parents home, all previous years..
    I remember doing the indoor and outside decoration, all by myself, as parents come home first days of December, after spending a 4-5 months in their village.

They were never (and still are not) very fond of christmas, so, Christmas decoration has always been my job, every November and usually lasted about a week..

Well, things change and yes, this year, I decorated my own home...
    I spent 3-4 days to do all that decoration and I was really proud of my job!!

The funny thing is that when I went to parents home to do the same, I found myself a little tired and I did about the half I used to do all previous years..
    For instance, I did not do the outside decoration (economic crisis helped a lot, as well..).
    I did a very good job in the living room, but did not decorate other rooms, as I used to do... Thats the big truth..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)

well,I stil live with my parents but yes I thought about that.I thought how will looks like one day when I move away,I mean I will have my own family and we will have our own traditions or way of decorating but still I think that I will miss decorating with my parents.Of course good think is that I could come helping them
    When it seems the magic slipped away...
    We find it all again on Christmas Day

*Seeing isn't believing.Believing is seeing.*

My parents don't do much anymore. Small stuff and even a much smaller tree than they used to have. I understand though. They don't have kids living there anymore. Everything in MY house is done by my wife and I.