Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A few things I am working on

A few things I am working on

Hello all!

New here, I hope I can apply the link to my photobucket... haha.

Anyways... My name is Edwin and I am brand new here. I manage a movie theatre and I love it. Each year I come up with some new Christmas display for our lobby, and this year the theme is Penguins. I try to keep it "non denominational" (sp) so I lean toward the secular rather than the religious.

As a kid I was always mesmerized by the display that the local mall put on. It was pretty pathetic, but I was a kid after all. There would be the elves sawing the same piece of wood year after year and getting nowhere, the same carolers singing the same song holding the same light bulb candle year after year, but I was always intrigued on how they got the carolers and elves to move without me seeing how they moved.....

I have done things such as string several sets of lights from the ceiling in the lobby from a hula-hoop down to the floor. Makes for a nice tree, but I am sure that the Fire Marshall would have had a FIT!!! HA HA

This year is Penguins. Animated Penguins - like the elves and carolers that I grew up with. Pretty simple really but I hope that the kids that come and watch the movies appreciate it.

I had this idea in my head since March and I shop thrift stores on an almost daily basis. I have been purchasing penguins and old Christmas trees since then. I don't spend alot of money, mostly 50 cents on stuffed penguins or up to $5 on old Christmas trees.

OK, without further BLAH BLAH BLAH from me.... here are a few pics of the preliminaries of my display!

DARN! Have to wait for 6 posts. Maybe by then I will have some more to add! :D

The pix are taken in the office since it is too early for a "public" display of Christmas unless you are a department store!

E

Can't wait to see the pics. Welcome and thanks for sharing!

We're waiting so start posting! And penguins are cute. I bought a penguin ornament for the children's tree.

Hi Edwin and welcome!

I love your peguin display idea...If the theaters around here went through that much trouble to create something for the holidays I would love to go to the movies! Please post more so we can see your photos!

Look forward to hearing more from you,
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com

Hello again,

Sorry for the delay, but I have had visitors from out of town. Everyone loves to come visit me now that I live in Vegas!!!

Pics coming soon!

E

Ok,

Here are the pictures. These are taken the office where I have them set up and running to make sure that they will last. (So far so good).

The flame is one of those "flaming couldrons" from a Halloween store.
    The sled spins back and forth
    The decorating penguins rock forward and backward as if they were falling. There will also be a partially decorated tree in front of them so it looks like they are trying to decorate the tree.

http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/q...dwin/penguins/

I have a few more animations that I am working on plus the background, the snow, the foreground etc etc. (Ack, getting stressed thinking about all the work left....) My employees love to help so it should go pretty smoothly.

Thanks for looking!

E

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Those look really cute! It looks like you go beyond the duties of your job. Most theatres here don't have anything different for Christmas, except maybe a tree.
    One year CVS had a whole bunch of Rudolph stuffed plush on sale really cheap. I bought all of them, and used to set them up in a little display. I haven't done it in about 4 years. I might put them out again this year.

love the pics it is a cute display. thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    Those look really cute! It looks like you go beyond the duties of your job. Most theatres here don't have anything different for Christmas, except maybe a tree.
    One year CVS had a whole bunch of Rudolph stuffed plush on sale really cheap. I bought all of them, and used to set them up in a little display. I haven't done it in about 4 years. I might put them out again this year.
    that sound nice and festive thanks for sharing.

I finally got around to uploading some videos. They are very short but you get a better idea what I am going for. I used a digital camera to take the videos so they aren't very good.

Sorry the Marshmallow one is so dark, the "fire" was blacking everything else out I think.

- sorry new to uploading.... see next post please.

E
    Last edited by theedwin; 11-10-2008 at 11:09 AM.