Thread: How do you fix your turkey or ham?

How do you fix your turkey or ham?

My turkey I rub down with salt and poultry seasoning then spray a little butter on before putting in my baking bag.

My ham I slice up and put a can of crushed pineapple and jar of marashino cherries onto it bake for two hours to let the flavors blend. Unless I buy a spiral cut hame then I tuck the cherries and pineapple into the ham slices before baking tastes delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by onemagicalchristmas View Post
    My turkey I rub down with salt and poultry seasoning then spray a little butter on before putting in my baking bag.

My ham I slice up and put a can of crushed pineapple and jar of marashino cherries onto it bake for two hours to let the flavors blend. Unless I buy a spiral cut hame then I tuck the cherries and pineapple into the ham slices before baking tastes delicious.

Our turkey I rub all over with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil & butter & Italian seasonings then place in a baking bag with small garlic cloves/onions & celery cubed up in stuffing that has been soaked overnight in italian seasonings & broth.
    Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen. Merry Christmas from my home to yours.
    Theresa, Ron & Nolan & Misty the cat

I put butter under the skin on the turkey breast, sprinkle poultry seasoning on it and put it in those wonderful cooking bags and forget about it until it is done.

Christmas ham, I'm limited what I can do because hubby just likes it plain, no extras on it especially pineapple, but I love a ham done with pineapple and cloves and the rest of that good stuff.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I've never cooked a whole Turkey, because I'm afraid of making gravy. When I make a Turkey breast, I make a herb crust and an orange glaze.

I used to make my mom's recipe for ham with pinapple and cherries. It was good (hers is fantastic, but I don't have her magic touch) but alot of work. I buy the spriral cut hams now. They taste delicious, and couldn't be easier. I then make a raisin to serve with it.If I cook one this year I might do a rasin sauce, and a pinapple sauce so people will have a choice. Heck maybe I'll go all out and make an orange sauce too. You can never have to much food on a holiday table.

alas I am always only dreaming of the virginia hams not to be found here
    but my turkey a babysized 4.5 lbs I know truly petite in size but over here that is normal
    (way back in my youth I had the ham and the big turkey)
    the turkey I cover with thin bacon strips and butter bit of freshly crushed pepper & seasalt sprinkle
    my turkey filling/stuffing is : breadcubes orange juice butter raisins chestnuts rosemary parsley sage ground meat freshly crushed pepper & seasalt
    Last edited by Xmasflora; 11-12-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    My mother makes a wonderful ham with pineapple and cherries. I tried making it her way a couple of times, and it never turns out as good as hers. I've since discovered spiral cut ham, and I doubt I will ever make a different ham again. It was absolutley delicious, and couldn't have been easier. I made a raisin sauce to go with it. If I make a big dinner this year, I think I'll offer a pinapple sauce as well.

I've never cooked a whole Turkey. I know the white and dark meat don't cook at the same rate, and I don't want to serve people a turkey that isn't cooked properly. I've only ever made a turkey breast. I make it with an orange and ginger sauce. I think the orange and ginger make it Christmasy, and there is no stress of making gravey at the last minute.

I am getting hungry for turkey and ham! I see there are a wide variety of ways for fixings!

cooking a ham

I like to score my ham and pour pineapple juice over it. Then I mix 2 Tbs. mustard with 1 Tbs. brown sugar and smear this on. Then I put pineapple slices and cloves on it and bake till done. Makes a wonderful glaze.