Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mincemeat Squares (Husband’s Favorite)

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    That's a good question. Rule of thumb is it's easier to add to than take out. I would probably try a spoonful first to see how strong it is. Actually maybe take a small amount and freeze it first, since that is the way you will be eating it. I wonder how it would be with the regular mincemeat, but then topped with some rum flavored whipped cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    This sounds very good. If I use mincemeat with brandy & rum in the jar, do I still need to add the extract?

Easy Fruitcake

2 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 28 ounce jar mincemeat (I think the jars are a little smaller these days - not to worry)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup walnuts - broken
    1 cup raisins (golden)
    2 cups mixed candied fruit (save some red and green pieces to decorate the top)
    (Add Rum or Brandy)

Preheat oven to 300F. Combine ingredients. Butter and flour pan. (I use an angel food cake ring pan) Bake 2 hours
    After cooling, remove carefully from pan and decorate top with reserved fruit pieces. Pour a little Rum (about a shot-glass full) over the top of cake. (You may want to add more rum once a week). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. Store in a cool, dry, dark place. No need to refrigerate.
    Last edited by ornamentmaven; 11-16-2014 at 11:35 PM.
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

Well, I bought my mince yesterday and couldn't find None Such, so settled for another brand. I'll have to add my own Rum!

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    Maybe I should have started a new thread for this. I think you would probably like it. I found this in one of the first cookbooks I ever bought. I've never made it but it sounds good. It would probably be ideal in one of the warmer places like Australia.

MINCEMEAT MOLD

1 1/2 cups prepared mincemeat 375 mL
    1/2 cup slivered almonds 125 mL
    2 TBS Brandy or Rum extract 25 mL
    3 pints vanilla ice cream softened 1.5L

combine mincemeat, slivered almonds and extract in bowl.
    Put one-fourth ice cream in bottom of a 6 cup (1.5L) mold.
    Alternately add mincemeat mixture and ice cream, packing down well. Cover and freeze overnight. Unmold on to serving plate. You can decorate the top and sides if desired.
    I have the mold, but can't remember where I stored it!!!!

I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say I made these last Christmas and they are very good. Unfortunately most people didn't try them. People seem to view mince like they do the much abused fruitcake. Maybe I'm weird. I like fruitcake too.
    I like both, too! Admittedly, I didn't have fruitcake until I was eighteen and, at first, I wasn't sure about it. But now I love it!

Hey, Elf, I hear your weather's going from 75 degrees down to 30 something this week! So sorry.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merry Christmas Darling View Post
    I like both, too! Admittedly, I didn't have fruitcake until I was eighteen and, at first, I wasn't sure about it. But now I love it!

Hey, Elf, I hear your weather's going from 75 degrees down to 30 something this week! So sorry.
    I can't complain. I have friends in Buffalo!

I hope you find your mold. I'm sure it would work well with sugar free Ice Cream.

It's been my experience that most of the people who don't like Fruitcake, have only ever had one that cost 2 dollars at Wal-mart. That is like saying "I hate Barbecue Spare Ribs because I ate a McRib once".

I can't complain. I have friends in Buffalo!

I hope you find your mold. I'm sure it would work well with sugar free Ice Cream.

It's been my experience that most of the people who don't like Fruitcake, have only ever had one that cost 2 dollars at Wal-mart. That is like saying "I hate Barbecue Spare Ribs because I ate a McRib once".
    If you're talking about Claxton's I LOVE it! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Claxton-Fruit-Cake/21567941

What's not to like?

I confess, I am not a fan of fruitcake. Well, the 'cake' part is fine; it's the citron I don't care for. And, I'm sure I have only had the cheap, store bought variety.

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    I confess, I am not a fan of fruitcake. Well, the 'cake' part is fine; it's the citron I don't care for. And, I'm sure I have only had the cheap, store bought variety.
    Steph, try this recipe (no citron):

Ice Box Fruitcake

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

Quote Originally Posted by steph535 View Post
    Homemade fruitcake is very expensive to make and tastes nothing like the cheap store brands - which have a "plastic" taste to them. I spend about $30 to make one fruitcake at home.