Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mincemeat Squares (Husband’s Favorite)

I will try this tonight,but i don't know whether i can make it delicious

Am I to understand that mince pies are a rarity in the USA? We'll organise an aid drop!
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    Am I to understand that mince pies are a rarity in the USA? We'll organise an aid drop!
    Yes. What's wrong with people here??? Yes, we need more mince pies!!! They were my grandfather's favorite and he didn't want his grandchildren to beg for some, so he told us that there were house flies baked in them!

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I was asking what type of dessert to bring for a dinner this year and I was told not to bring mince. It just doesn't seem to suit 21 century American tastes. I can't say I love it, but to me it just isn't Christmas with out a slice of mincemeat pie or a mince tart. I thought of bringing two desserts, but at the price of mince it would be silly to make a pie for just two people to have one slice. I think I'll just have to hit up a good bakery and buy myself a tart instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post
    Yes. What's wrong with people here??? Yes, we need more mince pies!!! They were my grandfather's favorite and he didn't want his grandchildren to beg for some, so he told us that there were house flies baked in them!
    That is hillarious! I'm kind of surprised you'll eat them after that. My mother insists I used to eat sausage (one of the few foods I won't eat) until some kid told me they were tonsils.
    Last edited by JollyElfDC; 12-07-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Maybe there wasn't much room on the Mayflower, but you seem to have left so much behind...
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Maybe there wasn't much room on the Mayflower, but you seem to have left so much behind...
    The Mayflower descendants who stayed in New England had it. My husband's family made their own with venison. His uncle loved to hunt!

We had people come to our melting pot from all over Europe and the rest of the world. Someone obviously wondered about that concoction of raisins, apples, meat, and spices and said, "Oh, I don't want great-grandma's recipe for that!"

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1632,...253192,00.html

People just don't know what they're missing! Well, I have to admit, I haven't had homemade mincemeat, but then my husband isn't a hunter.

Haha!!!

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without mince pies topped with a dollup of brandy butter.
    I'll bake some closer to Christmas, but also bought a couple of boxes of 'Mr. Kipling' ones last week.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow World View Post

naughty grandpar
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say I made these last Christmas and they are very good. Unfortunately most people didn't try them. People seem to view mince like they do the much abused fruitcake. Maybe I'm weird. I like fruitcake too.

Jolly - I will have to try this. I love anything with mince - especially fruitcake!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas