Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Mincemeat Squares (Husband’s Favorite)

Real mincemeat uses beef(or other meat), but many brands you buy in the store are meat free. It is true that you really cannot taste the meat in mincemeat
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I like to try this recipe this year...

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Ornamentmaven, I think I'm going to make your fruitcake this year.
    A lot of my friends are teetotalers. Do you think I could use orange juice in place of the alcohol? If I don't use the alcohol, would it be better to freeze it? Finally, how far in advance can I make this?

Thanks in advance !
    Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    Easy Fruitcake

2 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 28 ounce jar mincemeat (I think the jars are a little smaller these days - not to worry)
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup walnuts - broken
    1 cup raisins (golden)
    2 cups mixed candied fruit (save some red and green pieces to decorate the top)
    (Add Rum or Brandy)

Preheat oven to 300F. Combine ingredients. Butter and flour pan. (I use an angel food cake ring pan) Bake 2 hours
    After cooling, remove carefully from pan and decorate top with reserved fruit pieces. Pour a little Rum (about a shot-glass full) over the top of cake. (You may want to add more rum once a week). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. Store in a cool, dry, dark place. No need to refrigerate.

Jolly Elf - I have never frozen my fruitcakes, so I don't know if they would taste the same - I think they would dry out some what in the freezer. You can add a little rum to the batter before baking and the alcohol will bake out, but the flavor will stay. Adding alcohol later, helps to keep it moist, however. I always make mine on Black Friday or the weekend after Thanksgiving. You could always make yours a bit closer to Christmas since you are not adding alcohol.

Ornamentmaven thank you for posting the recipe and replying to my questions. I made your fruit cake this year and it is a winner! I had to make a couple of substitutions. I put the rum in the batter as you suggested, and I used maraschino cherries instead of the mixed candied fruit. The rum in the batter was on purpose, but I had to use the cherries because my car was in the shop for a couple of days, and couldn't get out to the market. They were the closest thing I had in my pantry to candied mixed fruit. I am sure it is better with the candied fruit, but the maraschino cherries were a nice addition.
    I purchased a marked down jar of mincemeat after Christmas (the use by date is years away) so I can make it again next year!

Glad it worked for you! Maraschino cherries sound interesting!

Bumping up this old thread, because I just saw this recipe. I think it sounds pretty good.
    https://www.food.com/recipe/holiday-...at-cake-104408