Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mincemeat Squares (Husband’s Favorite)

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Maybe I should have started a new thread for this. I think you would probably like it. I found this in one of the first cookbooks I ever bought. I've never made it but it sounds good. It would probably be ideal in one of the warmer places like Australia.

MINCEMEAT MOLD

1 1/2 cups prepared mincemeat 375 mL
    1/2 cup slivered almonds 125 mL
    2 TBS Brandy or Rum extract 25 mL
    3 pints vanilla ice cream softened 1.5L

combine mincemeat, slivered almonds and extract in bowl.
    Put one-fourth ice cream in bottom of a 6 cup (1.5L) mold.
    Alternately add mincemeat mixture and ice cream, packing down well. Cover and freeze overnight. Unmold on to serving plate. You can decorate the top and sides if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyElfDC View Post
    Maybe I should have started a new thread for this. I think you would probably like it. I found this in one of the first cookbooks I ever bought. I've never made it but it sounds good. It would probably be ideal in one of the warmer places like Australia.

MINCEMEAT MOLD

1 1/2 cups prepared mincemeat 375 mL
    1/2 cup slivered almonds 125 mL
    2 TBS Brandy or Rum extract 25 mL
    3 pints vanilla ice cream softened 1.5L

combine mincemeat, slivered almonds and extract in bowl.
    Put one-fourth ice cream in bottom of a 6 cup (1.5L) mold.
    Alternately add mincemeat mixture and ice cream, packing down well. Cover and freeze overnight. Unmold on to serving plate. You can decorate the top and sides if desired.
    This sounds very good. If I use mincemeat with brandy & rum in the jar, do I still need to add the extract?

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

I was asking what type of dessert to bring for a dinner this year and I was told not to bring mince. It just doesn't seem to suit 21 century American tastes. I can't say I love it, but to me it just isn't Christmas with out a slice of mincemeat pie or a mince tart. I thought of bringing two desserts, but at the price of mince it would be silly to make a pie for just two people to have one slice. I think I'll just have to hit up a good bakery and buy myself a tart instead.
    That is hillarious! I'm kind of surprised you'll eat them after that. My mother insists I used to eat sausage (one of the few foods I won't eat) until some kid told me they were tonsils.
    Ewww!

Quote Originally Posted by mina553 View Post
    naughty grandpar
    lol!

...at the price of mince ...
    That's a huge drawback so the stores around here don't even like to carry it. But I have to find my favorite kind even if I have to order it online. This is the mincemeat that I buy:

I love mince myself. And I always buy None Such as well. Some of the stores here carry it - but in VERY limited quantities. I use it to make my fruitcake every year (another thing that has fallen out of favor here in the US). I never make mince pie anymore, because I am the only one in my extended family who will eat it (...and I'm diabetic); but everyone loves my fruitcake recipe here!
    I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

I think mince fell out of favor here in the US because people could not stomach the fact that it actually contained meat in a dessert. However most mince today is simply chopped apples, raisins, spices and sugar! People need to give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by ornamentmaven View Post
    I love mince myself. And I always buy None Such as well. Some of the stores here carry it - but in VERY limited quantities. I use it to make my fruitcake every year (another thing that has fallen out of favor here in the US). I never make mince pie anymore, because I am the only one in my extended family who will eat it (...and I'm diabetic); but everyone loves my fruitcake recipe here!
    I only like the brandy and rum version, I don't buy the original. It's so yummy that it makes me wonder why people don't love it! I fell in love with 2 kinds of fruitcake when I was an adult.

Yes, I prefer the brandy and rum version as well, but if I can't find it - I add a little brandy and rum myself.

Oh, this sounds good! I may try it!

Mincemeat Plum Pudding
    - By Margaret Johnson
    Ingredients:
    • 1 1/2 cups mincemeat
    • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/3 cup butter
    • 1/2 cup orange juice
    • 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
    • 2 tablespoons dark rum
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinamon
    • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
    • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

Combine the mincemeat, brown sugar, butter, orange juice, orange rind, and rum in a 4 cup glass measuring cup or microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, then microwave for 1 minute more, or until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon. Pour the mincemeat mixture over the dry ingredients and stir in the eggs and nuts. Stir until the batter is well combined.
    Lightly butter a 2-quart ring mold or soufflé dish and line the bottom with buttered parchment paper. (If using a soufflé dish, invert a buttered glass in the center of the dish to create a ring mold effect.) Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared mold or dish. Place an inverted dinner plate in the bottom of the microwave and set the dish on the plate. Microwave at medium for 10 minutes. Rotate the dish and microwave at high for 2 to 4 minutes more, or until the top is no longer moist. Remove from the microwave and transfer to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
    Run a knife around the outside of the dish. Invert onto a serving plate and let cool completely. To serve, reheat the pudding, uncovered, at medium for 4 to 6 minutes, or until warm. Serve with Brandy Cider Sauce or Brandy Hard Sauce. Serves 8

http://www.irishabroad.com/culture/k....asp?RcpID=238