Thread: Sending letters to Santa traditions...

Sending letters to Santa traditions...

As children our family used to write letters to Santa, which we then burned on the fire, confident as Mum (Lord rest her) told us that the smoke would blow to the North Pole and Santa would get our message (this was around 1970, way before the advent of email!).

Did any of you have a similar tradition?
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

We actually had "North Pole Mail Box" at the local Mall which all us kids would bring our letters to. The Mall would even have a 'special' mail carrier who would come and collect them at points during the day. Like 2pm and 5pm -- there would be a sign listing when he would arrive.

He looked like a normal mail man except he would wear Christmas colors and had elf ears. The kids would all assemble and he would tell them some kind of "Christmas-y" story, empty the mail box, and then head back for the north pole. I remember being really amazed and enchanted by the whole thing. A great memory.

Of course, once everything was all said and done all the kids would pull there parents into the toy store and bakery which the mail box was between.

They stopped doing it somewhere in between my child years and now .. I've often thought about inquiring with the mall people about make reviving it. It was a great tradition and it will get me some brownie points with the big man
    "I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys." ~Charles Dickens

once i did,and now i write to my friends and my parents to tell my true words in my heart

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    We wrote letters to Santa that my parents would "mail". Found out later that they never actually did. In fact, they kept them as keepsakes. We still have them. I love the fireplace idea, but we do not have a fireplace. My oldest just turned 5 and I assume we will start having him write to Santa as soon as he can.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

If you have a garden you can try a bonfire. But these days you can email Santa...
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

My kids are excited for Santa Claus.

Canada Post is VERY active in the Letters to Santa tradition.

Not only do they collect letters at the Toronto Santa Claus Parade (the oldest and largest in the world!) but I KID YOU NOT any letter sent to santa at this address will get a reply (usually a form letter, that looks handwritten, with the Child's name on it).

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

We used to write to Santa and mum took the letter from us for the elves.

Santa also called us but it was a recorded message on a loop so as I got older I worked out it wasn't really him when the message re-started. Nice while it lasted though.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    Canada Post is VERY active in the Letters to Santa tradition.

Not only do they collect letters at the Toronto Santa Claus Parade (the oldest and largest in the world!) but I KID YOU NOT any letter sent to santa at this address will get a reply (usually a form letter, that looks handwritten, with the Child's name on it).

I remember them doing that when I lived in Canada. I was going to ask if they were still doing it. It's good to see they are. Don't forget to include the North Pole postal code! HoH oHo

I do this ever year with my family
    ~Michael