Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas drinks

Trinidad Rum Punch
    The traditional Trinidad Rum Punch recipe is 1 sour, 2 sweet, 3 strong, 4 weak. Simple to make. Easy to remember. This is an oldie but a goodie. Let's expand on those ingredients a bit for you:

1 (measure) - freshly squeezed Caribbean lime juice
    2 (measures) - cane sugar
    3 (measures) - dark Trinidad rum
    4 (measures) - water

Serve over ice with a couple dashes of Angostura Bitters and, optionally, a sprinkle of finely grated nutmeg. There you have it, sunshine in a glass! A simple way to transport yourself back to Trinidad, and all it takes is one sip.
    i do not add any water

Preperation Notes

Don't be Tempted to Substitute: For the purpose of making this rum punch recipe, lemons are a poor substitute for limes. They are not grown in Trinidad commercially, and they are much less tart. Stay with lime juice to get the most authentic flavor.

Similarly, dark Trinidad rum may be difficult to find, internationally; if you must substitute, try another dark West Indian rum. This rum punch recipe requires the rich full-bodied flavor of dark rum.

Water or Ice: If you plan to chill the punch before serving, then it's fine as it is. However, if you plan to serve it immediately, reduce the volume of water by half and add ice to chill.

Boil or Shake: Some rum punch recipes suggest that you first make a syrup with the sugar and water. We've never found this necessary. We use a cocktail mixer, a much quicker solution, in our opinion. Anyway, we are seldom tempted to drink rum punch by the gallon... except when we go to the beach, of course.

A word of caution: Don't be fooled by the sweet, fruity flavor, rum punch is potent.

Don't drink and drive. Try this Trinidad delight at your own risk.
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Arlington VA USA (Across the bridge from Fantasyland)
    Thank you so much for posting that. There was a Trinidad restaurant I went to in Canada that had a drink similar to this. It was soooo good!! On a hot day it cut through you like a knife! It was one of the most refreshing beverages I think I ever had. This sounds like a real keeper!

your welcome i love this drink 2 its my christmas fav glad u like it
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Quote Originally Posted by mina553 View Post
    Trinidad Rum Punch
    The traditional Trinidad Rum Punch recipe is 1 sour, 2 sweet, 3 strong, 4 weak.

Boil or Shake: Some rum punch recipes suggest that you first make a syrup with the sugar and water. We've never found this necessary. We use a cocktail mixer, a much quicker solution, in our opinion. Anyway, we are seldom tempted to drink rum punch by the gallon... except when we go to the beach, of course.

A word of caution: Don't be fooled by the sweet, fruity flavor, rum punch is potent.
    Don't drink and drive. Try this Trinidad delight at your own risk.
    Hahaha!!! ...... I know this but with using a sugar syrup and adding little bits of fruit like mango. In Antigua and the small islands they make a sugar syrup and I think same in Barbados too ...

Girl you are bringing back some memories of the Caribbean with this recipe ...

If only you could sample my sister's sloe gin... It creeps up on you... the first you realise is when your legs stop working... then you wake up with some hours missing from your life... were you abducted by aliens or has she overdone it again?

She gives me a bottle every christmas, is it a present or a plot?
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    If only you could sample my sister's sloe gin... It creeps up on you... the first you realise is when your legs stop working... then you wake up with some hours missing from your life... were you abducted by aliens or has she overdone it again?

HAHAHAHAHA!

"Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    Hahaha!!! ... seems a plot in the guise of a present

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Christmas View Post
    Hahaha!!! ... seems a plot in the guise of a present
    its a plot present i love it & 1 glass is all u really need .

next thing u know your doing the limbo with santa & your wearing his beard. lmao
    - St. Luke ii.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    I'm a recovering alcoholic. I stick to nog.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

This years' bottle of sloe gin has been given, and as the sloes were out early this year sis promises me that this four month matured vintage will be even stronger (is that possible?).

So if you don't hear from me for a while you know what has happened... I may awaken in the year 2150AD like Woody Allen's The Sleeper....
    So let the raucous sleigh bells jingle,
    Hail our dear old friend kris kringle,
    Driving his reindeer across the sky.
    Don't stand underneath when they fly by.