Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas drinks

Christmas drinks

I came across this blog post and it got me wondering about Christmas drinks.

What's your favourite and do you make it into a cocktail or something special?

I'm still a sucker for a traditional port but champagne and orange juice is good - sneaky one for breakfast usually

Here in Ontario our Liquor Stores are run by the Government, but this means that they're really high-class and have all sorts of super helpful demos, and product features, and every few months they put out a high-quality, very dense glossy magazine called Food & Drink.

The Holiday Edition (which just came out this month) is FULL of great suggestions from mixed cocktails, to specific options to try a new traditional beverage. Here's one featured from the 2011 issue: "Mistletoe Sangria" - They even have "Mocktails" for kids & people who don't drink alcohol - like this one: "Cool Frost Mocktail" PERFECT for Xmas!!!

They always have really great stuff - and I'm looking forward to picking up a copy and trying some out (although buying the ingredients just to test the recipes can be pricey!)

Of course, anything with Creme de Menthe in it is my favorite.
    Last edited by ChantelleJoy; 11-12-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

wow that sounds so high class & posh I don't drink much but
    2 glasses & iam super druk.
    even thoug iam from the Caribbean i don't like rum or any thing milkey I prefer wines i dont mind trying the Mistletoe Sangria .
    Last edited by mina553; 11-12-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

A Refreshing Spiced Caribbean Sorrel Drink.

Before we get to the recipe I must mention that if you use less water and no sugar (as mentioned in the recipe) you can make a concentrated syrup, which you can bottle and keep in the fridge for quite a while. Then all you do when you’re ready for a refreshing glass of sorrel on a hot day, is to pour some out, add sugar and water and you’re good to go.

You’ll Need…

2 cups dried sorrel
    8 cups water
    1 teaspoon grated ginger
    1 stick cinnamon
    1 cup sugar 4 cloves

I started off with 1 cup of sugar, but ended up using 2 cups. I only mentioned 1 in the recipe since your tolerance for sugar will be a bit different than mine. This way we have a starting point to which you can use as a gauge to add more (to your liking).

This is a very simple recipe, which does need a bit of time and patience since the sorrel must steep to release all it’s wonderful flavors.

Bring the water to a boil in a large pot, then add all the ingredients to the pot. Bring back to a boil and reduce the heat to a rolling boil. Allow this to boil for about 5 minutes, then turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow this to steep for at least 4 hours (overnight would be best).

Next up, strain the contents into a juice jug and add more sugar as needed ( You can store this in the fridge for about a week… if you don’t finish it before then.

* You can certainly add more cinnamon and cloves if you want to give it a more ‘spiced’ flavor and if memory serves me correctly, I believe my dad would also put some dried orange peel when boiling. I add my sugar when the water is hot so it dissolves faster… just my way of doing things. If you want a grown-up version you can always add a shot or two of dark rum or vodka to your glass.

i guess u can purchase the sorrel @ any West Indian store !
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    It's about the only time of year I enjoy a couple glasses of red wine.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

I don't know how I missed this on the LCBO wesite;

Holiday Cocktails Guide
    "Christmas: it's not the giving, it's not the getting, it's the loving." - Garfield
    I'm Admin of AllThingsChristmas Forum - Click Here to Message Me with questions or if you need help!

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    What's LCBO? Also, I think I want to try mulled wine this year. I need to do a little research.
    I love Outdoor Christmas Lights!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    What's LCBO? Also, I think I want to try mulled wine this year. I need to do a little research.
    Like I said in my first post, in Ontario (Canada) our Liquor stores are run by the Government - this just happens to make them super-classy, and also they're called LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). Which are generally just called "The Liquor Store" or often LCBO's. For fun, I sometimes call it "The Lick-Bo".

To get an idea of what they look like (inside & out), check out these images.

whats mulled wine ?
    we have a lot of exoctic fruit wines here if u like that sarta thing . & i mostly like red also.
    - St. Luke ii.

Quote Originally Posted by mina553 View Post
    A Refreshing Spiced Caribbean Sorrel Drink.
    Now this takes me back .... way back

I can't get dried sorrel here but my friend in Canada is going to send me some, along with some Mauby bark.....

Oh Christmas in the Caribbean ... sorrel, mauby, ginger beer, and ponche crema (sp)