Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Christmas drinks

hahah i like the name i woulden;t B able to have that
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Punch de Creme, is another of Trinidad’s traditional Christmas drinks.

punch de creme

One thing that I really like about punch de creme (as opposed to traditional eggnog) is the use of citrus flavors like lime and Angostura bitters (which has orange extract). This gives the ‘nog’ a fruity lightness that alleviates the sweet creaminess (which could easily get cloying

u will need

6 eggs
    3 cups evaporated milk
    12 oz. sweetened condensed milk
    1.5 cups rum (preferably white)
    2 teaspoons Angostura bitters
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    grated nutmeg

Directions:

1. Beat eggs with lime juice until light and fluffy

2. Add evaporated milk
    3. Sweeten to taste with condensed milk.
    4. Add bitters, grated nutmeg, extract and rum according to taste
    5. Strain
    6. serve with crushed ice.

Serves 12

Spelling Variations: Ponch de Crema, Punch a Creme, Ponche de Creme

This recipe is an exclusive TriniGourmet original. Please do not share it or post it to your site without crediting TriniGourmet.com.
    This entry was originally published on December 14, 2006. It has been updated twice since then.
    And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, Lying in a manger.
    - St. Luke ii.

Jamaican Sorrel Rum Punch (recipe)

When I first made this in 2006 it was my first time using a pack of dried sorrel for a recipe. I was pleasantly surprised. If you allow it to steep overnight the results are pretty damn good. The below recipe is my adaptation of the Jamaican Sorrel Rum Punch Recipe at Epicurious.com. Because the pack of dried sorrel that I bought already has cloves added, as well as chunks of cinnamon bark I didn’t need to add any additional flavorings. If you can locate packs like these I highly recommend it.
    JAMAICAN SORREL RUM
    crediting TriniGourmet.com.

u will need

Ingredients:

1 pack pre-spiced dried sorrel -OR- 2 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) dried sorrel calyxes
    Two 1-inch cubes of peeled fresh ginger, chopped fine
    3 whole cloves (omit if using a pack with spices)
    5 3/4 cups water
    3 cups sugar
    1 amber/dark rum
    2 cups ice cubes, or to taste
    Lime and orange slices for garnish

Directions:

1. In a heat-proof bowl combine the sorrel, the ginger and the cloves.

2. In a saucepan bring 5 cups of the water to a boil, pour it over the sorrel mixture, and let the mixture steep overnight.

3. While the mixture is steeping, in a small saucepan bring the remaining 3/4 cup water and the sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and let the syrup cool.
    4. Strain the sorrel liquid into a pitcher, discarding the solids, stir in the sugar syrup, the rum and the ice cubes, and garnish the punch with the lime and orange slices.

Makes about 8 cups/2 bottles

This recipe is an exclusive TriniGourmet original.
    crediting TriniGourmet.com.
    Last edited by mina553; 11-19-2011 at 01:31 PM.
    - St. Luke ii.

i'm going to have to test some of these delicious drinks out

I love eggnog yummy everytime i come home from the store , my wife says'more eggnog?..dont you have enough already?" Today I also got 2 really cool looking glasses for my wife and i to drink from they are so old..I think early 50's, and say Happy Holidays around them and are gold rimmed. Cant wait to use them!

thats really cool MR Christmas .
    - St. Luke ii.

Yeah I loove the new glasses, looked them up on line, They go for 26 bucks a piece, I paid 49 cents for 2 lol.

wow u got a steal of a deal there congrats it feels good 2 save & get a great deal @ the same time .
    - St. Luke ii.

Quote Originally Posted by ChantelleJoy View Post
    Like I said in my first post, in Ontario (Canada) our Liquor stores are run by the Government - this just happens to make them super-classy, and also they're called LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). Which are generally just called "The Liquor Store" or often LCBO's. For fun, I sometimes call it "The Lick-Bo".
    I've always called it that, too! Incidentally, my dad used to work for the LCBO Ottawa headquarters before he retired.

A must have Trini drink is called Ginger beer
    I must mention. There’s no alcohol in this even though it’s called “beer.”

Tidbits on Ginger:

1.Ginger is a rhizome – an underground stem that grows horizontally.
    2.Ginger, although native to India and China is grown around the world especially in the hot tropics including the Caribbean and Africa, where it was introduced in the 16th century.
    3.In the 13th and 14th centuries, ginger, along with black pepper, was one of the most commonly traded spices.
    4.Initially ginger was consumed more for its medicinal purposes than for strictly culinary purposes. Today it is believed to aide digestion, relieve rheumatoid arthritis, reduce migraines, sooth sore throats, improve circulation, reduce fat deposits in the arteries and treat nausea.

Trinidadian Ginger Beer

Makes 4 quarts

This ginger beer is assertive – strong ginger and spices. It’s not fizzy and it’s not ginger ale. If you want to dilute, do as the Trini’s do, and cut it with seltzer, mineral water, etc. If you’d like an even stronger ginger beer, reduce it by 2 cups of water.

Ingredients

1 pound fresh ginger

3 quarts water (12 cups)

2 cinnamon sticks

8 cloves

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 of fresh lime, divided – large peel and juice

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup raw sugar (demerara, turbinado or muscovado)
    or just use the brown sugar.

Method

1.Peel the fresh ginger – using a peeler or the back of a spoon. Rinse. Grate ginger using a box grater or a food processor. Watch the knuckles.
    2.In a large non-reactive pot, bring water, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and the peel of half a lime to a boil. Turn off heat. Add the 1 ½ cup sugar; stir until dissolved. Taste. Add fresh grated ginger and the juice from the half lime.
    3.Let the ginger mixture cool to room temperature. Leave in the pot (cover) or transfer to a large jar with a lid and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to a week to allow flavors to meld. (If steeping more than 24 hours – remove at least one cinnamon stick.) When ready to drink, strain through a fine colander or cheesecloth; press solids at the end to remove remaining liquid; discard solids.
    4.Serve cold. Garnish with fresh mint or thin slices of limes or other citrus. Although, not traditional, this is also great as a hot drink.

if u would like your ginger beer stronger put it in the sun covered in a glass jar or bottle .
    - St. Luke ii.